jspec miata motor

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
facko

jspec miata motor

Post by facko »

i need to get a new block for my b6de and i seen they got a jspec motor from a miata on ebay for a decent price. im thinking that the block should be the same correct? i kno the top end has a different parts but all i need is the bottom end. anykno kno if there is anything that would be different as far as the internals or anything goes? i have new pistons and rings to go in it but if the jspec ones would be better im all for not having to deal w/ putting those in :) thx
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

depends on the year, some miatas have B6's1.6, and othere have BP's1.8

Hope that helps ya.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
facko

Post by facko »

oh yeah i knew about the size diff's its the 1.6 motor thx tho, do u kno if the rods or pistons are different? im thinking the motor mounts might be different to since the miatas are rwd...but the places for the mx3 mounts should still be on there..right? im not 100% on any of that im just assuming that mazda wouldnt make 2 for motor mount position
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
Cy

Post by Cy »

The miata bp block is the same as the 95-99 protege BP...Exactly the same...
The differences are in the computer...Tis' it..

I have a BP in my 1995 RS 1.6L... i'm running the b6 computer and it's going Quite well so far..

You can bolt the miata block into the car, you have to use all of the mx-3 mounts i believe and you also have to either modify the Half-shaft (if you using it with a F-series Trans) or take measurements and make a hybrid shaft from, I believe, a 1996 Protege base model and a mx-3 outer axle(i think)..
The ENTIRE flywheel and clutch assembly must be used with the fseries but will bolt to the BP... If you go G-series you can chuck everything including the flywheel..

FFS get a upgraded pressureplate and clutch.. the stock f-series clutch will not take much more power if you start to modify your bp...
150hp wheel from a N/A bp is do-able with a tuned computer, a head-job and intake/exhaust modifications... and a stock 1.6L clutch will not hold it for long...

The Wiring is all exactly the same.. Leave all the noids and the EGR plugged in.. but you don't have to connect any of them into the vaccume system other then the purge and the VICS noids..Injectors are exactly the same and have the same plugs..

The B6 Distro can be used but must be modified..
--The distro has tobe turned almost 90degrees clockwise from the 2 marks lining up... you have to grind the screw slots another 1/2 inch (almost open) to get the right timing...you can run it without grinding them and it'll sound like a chainsaw...I left it because it's advanced to like 5degrees BTDC and i'm N/A @ 91octane.. so i'm not sweatin it..

Damn i love to type...It's a pretty straight forward thing todo... having a Front clip from a protege is probably a HELL of alot better idea then over doing it like i did with JUST a block...
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

facko! I will have a whole engine in 2 weeks its a b6de overhauled with new head gasket and pretty good shape you can have it for $50 + shipping. Its running and its coming with the mx3 I bought, I dont need it cause I am using the engine from my crashed mx3....

Mike
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
D323

Post by D323 »

Cy wrote:The miata bp block is the same as the 95-99 protege BP...Exactly the same...

I have a BP in my 1995 RS 1.6L... i'm running the b6 computer and it's going Quite well so far..

You can bolt the miata block into the car, you have to use all of the mx-3 mounts i believe and you also have to either modify the Half-shaft (if you using it with a F-series Trans) or take measurements and make a hybrid shaft from, I believe, a 1996 Protege base model and a mx-3 outer axle(i think)..
The ENTIRE flywheel and clutch assembly must be used with the fseries but will bolt to the BP... If you go G-series you can chuck everything including the flywheel..

FFS get a upgraded pressureplate and clutch.. the stock f-series clutch will not take much more power if you start to modify your bp...
150hp wheel from a N/A bp is do-able with a tuned computer, a head-job and intake/exhaust modifications... and a stock 1.6L clutch will not hold it for long...

The Wiring is all exactly the same.. Leave all the noids and the EGR plugged in.. but you don't have to connect any of them into the vaccume system other then the purge and the VICS noids..Injectors are exactly the same and have the same plugs..

--The distro has tobe turned almost 90degrees clockwise from the 2 marks lining up... you have to grind the screw slots another 1/2 inch (almost open) to get the right timing...you can run it without grinding them and it'll sound like a chainsaw...I left it because it's advanced to like 5degrees BTDC and i'm N/A @ 91octane.. so i'm not sweatin it..

Damn i love to type...It's a pretty straight forward thing todo... having a Front clip from a protege is probably a HELL of alot better idea then over doing it like i did with JUST a block...
the oil pan is different. A longitudal setup pools oil differently in the pan vs a FWD setup.

The intake manifold points to the wrong side (passenger). The ports are different on the BP between the protege and the Miata, anyone know about the B6 for sure:

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showpo ... stcount=13

Hopefully they are the same and all of the MX-3 items swap on w/o issue.
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)
Cy

Post by Cy »

Mine must be from a protege then... same motor none the less.. you just get different accessories...
XL200

Post by XL200 »

I know this tread is old BUT...i bought on of these motors off ebay($575) with shipping and the compression is great. this was for my 93mx3 sohc swap,and this is what I know.
the tps wiring cap is different(for mine,its a 93 miata engine) than from a usa protege lx, it has to be swapped and rewired. also some wires are different colors which can make it a hassle.
the oil pan was NOT a problem, i have my stock exhast on there now.
You will need to buy a miata disty tho if you want it to line up(like $20).
Stock ecu WILL work.
Motor mounts line up perfect if you use the f tranny.
I swapped in a g series and all bolts line up, clutch works but tranny sticks out motor wall slightly and leaves a gap about .5". im sure that dosent make sense so ill get a pic.
O2 sensor for miata bp is a 3 prong, my mx3 is a 1 prong
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You will need to buy a miata disty tho if you want it to line up(like $20).
Problem with that.. all miatas were distributorless ignition systems that used coil packs. At least in the north american market.. dunno about JDM. Not like the JDM market to have lesser parts than the USDM though.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
XL200

Post by XL200 »

interesting cause that what the junkyard told me thats what i needed and it works perfect. also, the shipping receipt I have says the motor # and is followed by silver miata as the description of the car the engine came from japan. Mine is a 93 but i dont know much about miatas so i cant tell you much else.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well I can tell you the junkyard didnt get that disty out of a miata LOL Probably got it out of a 323 or another MX-3. Did the engine come with a distributor in it from Japan? And when you say yours is a 93.. are you referring to your car or the engine you got? And is the engine a DOHC and still a 93? That would support that the motor came out of a miata.. with or without distributor. The engine could possibly even be a B6ZE if its a JDM Miata engine. As I mentioned before.. dunno what ignition systems the JDM Miatas had.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
XL200

Post by XL200 »

The engine did not have the disty from japan so thats why when i ordered one and it fit the motor, i didnt think anything of it.(again I know nothing about miatas). The new motor is a 93 DOHC and my mx3 is a 93 SOHC. However since i did order this engine on ebay, they could have easily sent me a protege motor and/or mixed up product pallets(its happened before lol). the only reason ive been confused is not from the disty, but the tps sensor. the tps on the new motor is a different type than on any mazda protege or mx3 ive ever seen so i assumed that perhaps it really is from a miata.
arent manual BPs supposed to have a 3 prong tps and the auto a 4 prong? or are they the same?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Cy wrote:The miata bp block is the same as the 95-99 protege BP...Exactly the same...

Thats way too much work, and alot of what you said is BS. they are not identical. the Jspec motors are almost alwayse ZE motors, so the cams will be different in every one of them. the Heads are the same as well depending on the year. 99 and up are all different SAME WITH THE INTURNALS 99 to 02 run 10:1 comp rather than 9:1. but BP intake manifolds can be moded to fit with a dremel. wiring from a Miata to a MX is no where close to the same, some of the sensors might be the same.

The B6 motors from Japan are B6ze motors, and they also have different cams. The problem with running a Miata B6 is the exahust mani will fit but the intake will not. so you will need to mod an intake mani. if you want to use the maita head.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well said josh
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”