Replacement for the hydraulic tensioner?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Replacement for the hydraulic tensioner?

Post by SuperK »

So the H tensioner on the timing assy is complete gar-baage.
bump and there goes my timing.
The timing was done recently by the previous owner (Gro Harlem)
but the darned thing already just let go of the belt in the middle of bumblef....
Is there an alternative to replacing this? Any quick swap over with a spring loaded tensioner, or maybe a different model ZE with a better style tensioner I can swap?
I don't want this thing jumping again... I have a feeling it's going to want to do that probably sooner than later.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just get a new one from mazda.. I think they run about $80. But they are good for 100k miles easy. Some last longer if their operating conditions are decent. If the water pump leaks inside the timing shroud (as they are designed to do if the pump seal fails) Those Hydraulic tensioners can rust a bit and that probably doesnt help their lifespan. You can find them on e-bay cheaper than mazda usually.. I just prefer to get new rather than used for something like that.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Tunes67 wrote:Just get a new one from mazda.. I think they run about $80.
Since when? I've never heard of a Ford or Mazda tensioner costing less than $155 dollars.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I called for one once. It was like $170
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A brief search around the net reveals that they range in price from as little as $54.95 upto $215. Just checking places such as Rockauto.com, ebay, napaonline.com and partsamerica.com . As I mentioned above.. I THINK they go for around $80 at the mazda dealer.. having never bought one from them or even called them for one.. it was a guesstimate. However.. I will call my local mazda dealer tomorrow and get a actual price.. heck.. I will even call a local ford dealer and get a price as well.

For the record. The tensioner should be the same part for all K series V6's. So that means you should be able to find one for a MX-6, 626, Millenia (non super charged of course) and even Ford Probe GT's. As well as our MX-3's.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I GOT THEM PM MEyours for 20 dllrs plus ship!!!!! cmon take this paperweight off me! thats for BOTH tensioners!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Tunes67 wrote: heck.. I will even call a local ford dealer and get a price as well.
lol...Ford will just say call Mazda. My brother has a probe and Ford is freakin useless. They got nothing, he just orders from Mazda. there actually used to people ordering parts for Probes there..lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
andy

Post by andy »

If you search on the probetalk forum there was a writeup on modifying the hydraulic tensioner to a manual adjuster. It involved drilling and tapping the bottom of the tensioner and using a bolt for the adjustment. I haven't done this but its something I might try.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A manually adjusted one mught be a nice idea, but the tensioner is designed to hold a cartain amount of tension. Too much and you'll be ruining the beariongs on the rollers or cam sprockets. I would just buy a new one from one of the places Tunes mentioned. It is a nice car, do not buy used crap or some cheap E-bay junk and ruin the car.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I'm a bit too worried about drilling and such to install a manual tensioner.

I was hoping they redesigned the K series with a simple spring tensioner or such and ditched the hydraulic tensioner. Maybe it's my personal opinion, but I just don't see a hydraulic tensioner as being a very good idea.

When the engine was torn into, the tensioner had erm... tension, but the bolt wasn't fastened, and allowed it to "jump"

but I might buy those extra ones for the sake of having extra ones.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Tunes67 wrote:A brief search around the net reveals that they range in price from as little as $54.95 upto $215. Just checking places such as Rockauto.com, ebay, napaonline.com and partsamerica.com . As I mentioned above.. I THINK they go for around $80 at the mazda dealer.. having never bought one from them or even called them for one.. it was a guesstimate.
Negative. Usually when you are quoted a price like that, it's for the hydraulic piece with the wheel and bearing instead of the actual hydraulic arm which is more prone to failure. And like said, the only price I've EVER seen lower than $150 for an acutal hydraulic arm is not a Ford or Mazda brand piece which usually fail in less than a year.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”