Pulled over for impersonatring a Police officer

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

This is all there is about blue lights in TN

55-9-414. Blue flashing emergency lights on motor vehicles unlawful — Exception — Penalty. —
(a) (1) It is unlawful for anyone to install, maintain or exhibit blue flashing emergency lights or blue flashing emergency lights in combination with red flashing emergency lights, except full-time, salaried, uniformed law enforcement officers of the state, county, or city and municipal governments of the state, and commissioned members of the Tennessee bureau of investigation when their official duties so require as defined by §§ 38-8-106 and 38-8-107.
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow.. i wonder whats gonna happen to me when i get pulled over for my cop horn..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
matt753

Post by matt753 »

What about lights inside the car? I have some blue LED's under my dash, does anyone think I will have any troubles in the future?
matt753

Post by matt753 »

hgallegos915 wrote:wow.. i wonder whats gonna happen to me when i get pulled over for my cop horn..
haha where'd you buy that from?
e11evon

Post by e11evon »

When I was in high school I had blue turning signals in my MX-6, and one night it was raining and I was on a back road and a car was storming by me, almost ran me off the road...i chased him down and switched my turning signals back and forth and he pulled over...ha ha ha.
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

My poor friend stopped by my work one night to show off his show-car. He was parked with the car shut off. He had installed blue neon in his grill and turned them on. Just as I finished reminding him that emergency light colours (blue, white, red) are illegal a cop car drove by and turned around so fast that my buddy couldn't get onto the driveway quick enough. The cop was pissed and gave him a ticket because even though the car was not running he was ON the street with the light on. If he was on the driveway it would've been fine.
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

The blue lights wouldnt be standard DMV issue!. The ambers ok. I see some people with those hood LED's on the win washer guns, and they get pulled over all the time!. Cops look for color differences like that. I think the POLICE INPERSONATING is a little too out there! loL. sorry it happened
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Jay72 wrote:My poor friend stopped by my work one night to show off his show-car. He was parked with the car shut off. He had installed blue neon in his grill and turned them on. Just as I finished reminding him that emergency light colours (blue, white, red) are illegal a cop car drove by and turned around so fast that my buddy couldn't get onto the driveway quick enough. The cop was pissed and gave him a ticket because even though the car was not running he was ON the street with the light on. If he was on the driveway it would've been fine.
Flashing blue is snow removal. I remember them mentioning that they're looking at using flashing blue for emgency vehicles. Right now we're white/red. Down here in Virginia they use blue or red/blue.

Actually, one thing that bothers me about that tho is that the Toronto city buses have blue lights on the top facing foward and rear...just cause they are city owned vehicles shouldn't make them exempt from provincial laws...they shouldn't be allowed to have other than what's stated in the highway traffic act projecting forward or rear. In Virginia, I need to actually either remove, or cover my lights, even if I'm driving with them off they can and have ticketed me for my neons, regardless that my car is not from Virginia and legal in Ontairo.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
matt753

Post by matt753 »

So what if you have lights of any kind that aren't Red, White or Blue, is that still illegal? lol
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I've had friends get tickets for green lights before since those are reserved for forest rangers or some crap :roll:

they can give you a ticket for whatever they want and if you argue it can be considered resisting arrest...
MCCAR42

Post by MCCAR42 »

In New York Blue Lights are used for Volunteer Firefighters. hehe I've had a Police officer put his lights on and pull into the intersection and wait there to let me go. I was kinda stunned when it happened.

My light is mounted on my windshield just over the dash though. not sure if it makes a big difference. many members of departments around me have roof mounted or grill mounted lights.

Green lights are for volunteer EMS company members in NY.

I guess it just goes to show how different laws can be in different places [some states say firefighters have to have a siren if they have lights, others have different colors etc..]

anyway sorry for a kinda late post
fromtornashes

Post by fromtornashes »

that sucks
RIP Matt
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I don't see why this is such an issue with so many people. Don't use blue lights (or any other illegal lighting) on your car and you won't get in trouble. It's not like they're essential for safety or performance. It's all just useless flashy decorations that serve no purpose. If you have your factory lights or legal-approved aftermarket lights, you'll be fine. If you decide to drive around in a Christmas tree, then the only one you can blame when you get busted for it is yourself.
Princess*Precidia

Post by Princess*Precidia »

I have to reply to this,
theres been a few occasions here in Canada where a couple of guys have been impersonating police officers and have pulled women over and they've ended up raped and/or killed.

So i totally understand why there was so many cops with theyre guns drawn. you can never be too sure.
mazdamx3_89

Re: Pulled over for impersonatring a Police officer

Post by mazdamx3_89 »

when i had one of my first mx3's i had blue LED lights surounding the hatch and they flicked to the beat of my music an i have never got in trouble or even pulled over for that ... in fact i had it inspected by the state highway patrol and they never said anything although i have heard it was illegal to have some colored lights
Eric Harcourt
Mazda Mx 3 [ gangsta ]

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”