1.8v6 turbo - fuel man'?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Grant88

1.8v6 turbo - fuel man'?

Post by Grant88 »

hey, sorry if this is already posted somwere i couldnt find it!

but i have a 92 mx3 gs. it has the 1.8L v6 and im looking at turboing it. so im just woundering for those that have done this what you had to do like for fuel managment, did you run both sides of the manifold to there own turbos or just to one? innercooler or no? everything you had to do...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Grant
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Usually people run one turbo for both banks with a small intercooler. As for managment there are many options, but the best being megasquirt for our application. The 1.8 can be boosted but the internals are not as strong as the 2.5L motor that can take abit more abuse.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Theres some H beam rods in the for sale section.Pick those up and put them into a kl and then add some boost. Believe me it will be worth it.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

KL rods aren't an easy fit onto a K8 crank.
mrspanky79 wrote:Im looking out the window and in my drive way theres an mx3 with kl rods and crank in a k8 that runs with no problems. But like stated i would not sugest doing. I only did it becouse i had all the parts lieing around (free) and an uncle that works at a plane plants so all the machening cost me a botle of rum. The big isue is the different pin sizes and getting the rod in the block, rod base is larger then the block bore. [...] the pins are different sizes so you have to put bussings in the rods. next the rods dont fit in the bore so I groved the bottom of the bore so you so can put the rods up from the bottom and mechined the piston to hold ring clamps (making them free floating) then assamble the piston onto the rod from the top.
In the end tho, there's very limited experience with boosting a K8, there's maybe 2-3 around that I know of, with colinsmx3 working on one, but he's going to swap to a KL later. For internals, there's pretty much nothing you can get for better/stronger K8 internals unless you want to pay big prices to get custom stuff made. Thanks to the Probe/Mx-6 guys, there's ample out there for pretty much all your KL needs...although we don't any figures, a boosted K8 will probably make as much power as a good KLZE, with no turbo headaches, better reliabiltiy, as well as you don't have the extra weight of the turbo system (which is all in front of the front axle which will hurt handling). It's a tough call, but it's not a bad idea if you want to swap to a KL later (should bolt right up no problem), but most people would suggest to not put any money into boosting a K8
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Get a KLDE engine from a junkyard. Should only be $300 and boost that. Youll make alot more power.

Or get a KLZE engine.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:KL rods aren't an easy fit onto a K8 crank.
I don't think you read what I posted. I never mentioned anything about putting kll rods into the k8.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Grant88

Post by Grant88 »

k thanks, i am planing on doing the KLZE swap later but as for now i jsut want to boost this, just to keep me happy while im building the KLZE - I want to build it up before i swap it in..
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mx3autozam wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:KL rods aren't an easy fit onto a K8 crank.
I don't think you read what I posted. I never mentioned anything about putting kll rods into the k8.
You are right, guess I misread that,
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
andy

Post by andy »

Search on my posts. That should help a little bit towards your 1.8 turbo
project.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

im used to run a 125,000 mile k8 turbo .
i had a ebay turbo t3/t4 hybrid (pos)
walbro fuel pump
220cc injectors
an 12 to 1 fmu

If u going to do it right it takes alot of work with relocating things like cooland resovoir, cruise control, battery, i went with cooper coolant like around the turo....

i daily drove it on 8 pounds.. from rolls i had no problem wiht low 13 seconds car
my best on the strip was a 1.9 with a horrible 60 foot time..

this setup was not reliable but dam it was fun and i learned alot abotu turbos..
so now i feel ready for a biult kl running stand alone..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx-3 Kl Turbo (Weekend/show car)
95 talon tsi awd (Daily Driver For Sale 6,000 or Trade for a Mx
1989 Cbr600 (StreetFighter/Stunt Bike)
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
Grant88

Post by Grant88 »

so what are my choices for fuel and engine managment, injectors, and do I have to get a bigger fuel pump?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”