New struts

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

New struts

Post by umcamara »

My struts are leaking on my daily driven MX-3. I plan to drive it over the winter while I hunt for a GS.

Up here in Winnipeg, there's a lot of snow in the winter. I've never driven the car in the winter, so I'm not sure how the stock ride height handles the snow. It's cheaper for me to get the ZX-2 struts than the MX ones. I've never done any suspension work.

1) Would it make sense for me to use the ZX-2 Tokicos, and the stock MX-3 springs? That way the car won't be too low during the winter.

2) I've read up quite a bit on the ZX-2 struts. But I've never really come across whether guys use springs designed for the MX-3, or the ZX-2. As well as the thrust bearings, and upper plates.

3) If you're replacing your struts, do you use your old springs, or do you need new ones.

Thanks.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I'm wondering as well if springs made for MX-3 will work with the ZX-2 struts...
solo_ryder

Re: New struts

Post by solo_ryder »

umcamara wrote:My struts are leaking on my daily driven MX-3. I plan to drive it over the winter while I hunt for a GS.

Up here in Winnipeg, there's a lot of snow in the winter. I've never driven the car in the winter, so I'm not sure how the stock ride height handles the snow. It's cheaper for me to get the ZX-2 struts than the MX ones. I've never done any suspension work.

1) Would it make sense for me to use the ZX-2 Tokicos, and the stock MX-3 springs? That way the car won't be too low during the winter.
It does make sense at a money standpoint. But if you are going to drive your car in the winter, especially a canadian one then I would opt to getting some used strut/spring combo from a wrecker or someone parting out and going with that. Winter is hard on suspension components. Maybe even leave your crappy suspension in for the winter and not worry. Or replace 1 strut with a monroe or something,

2) I've read up quite a bit on the ZX-2 struts. But I've never really come across whether guys use springs designed for the MX-3, or the ZX-2. As well as the thrust bearings, and upper plates.
MX3 springs will work, we use the same basic chassis as many other cars like the 323/zx2/protege etc. Feel free to use H&R springs, eibach, intrax.. w.e you want.

3) If you're replacing your struts, do you use your old springs, or do you need new ones.

Shouldnt really matter, springs will usually last longer then the strut IMO, but if you are changing out the struts why not get new springs? What I thik you should do is run ur shitty suspension for the winter (if you drive your car then) and then in the spring do a new setup...
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Well, from a point of a view of a person who lives in Saskatchewan and gets a decent amount of snow and worse snow removal, I have the ZX2 struts and Eibach springs. It actually seemed to handled BETTEr in the snow and ice, easier to steer it almost seemed.

Now, I DID get stuck in very very deep snow, but for the most part i beleive it would not have made a difference from stock hight. Good snow tires will work well.

ANOTHER option is adjustable coil overs..you can lower them down for summer and raise them abit for winter...

I recommend you talk to some people you know with lowered cars (nothing rediulouse, only an inch or so) and see what they think..if you have the cash, and want a firmer ride, then I suggest upgrading to ZX2 and eibach springs.

If you DON"T want to lower, get KYB struts or ZX2 with a stock mx-3 spring. Phone around, somebody will have them. If your old ones are still in good condish, you can use them if your tight on budjet.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”