KL31 cams.. Are they really worth it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

KL31 cams.. Are they really worth it?

Post by solo_ryder »

I was thinking of putting in some 31 cams in my car this winter, as well as some other goodies. Now, I dont really feel like doing that at all because..

1. I dont know how to put in or take out cams
2. I need to find time and another car to drive for the winter
3. Not sure if the gains are worth having me trying to figure this all out

Now I know that you may be saying, oh... its easy to do, it takes like 1 hour. Well, I am tired of pulling the motor and having to borrow engine hoists and stands from other ppl (I am not gonna leave it in the car to do the cams). I just need to know from ppl that have had these cams swapped in from kl-01 cams, if it is worth it..
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Consider that a hard job, IMO.

I was going to do that but then going turbo was more easy for me...

some people can do it easy. Most shops that I went , they didnt wanna mess with it. Its 10 hp more. If you are n/a maybe its worth it but you do need a back up car. The timing belt has to be removed and of course you gotta retime. Its a pain for me, me having done partial engine rebuilds, engine swaps bp engine rebuilds... I guess I was just to lazy to pull the engine out for 10 hp. Everyone says they are worth it. I traded mine for a fuel pressure regulator lol.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I am in the same situation aswell. I am thinking of getting colt cams. If not, I am thinking of switching over to a KLDE valvetrain (springs and retainers) but I cant seem to find any guides.

Not trying ot steal this thread, but is changing the valvetrain a hard job? Any advice or faqs on how to do this?

I been searching all over
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

well solo i'm trying to track down some for myself as we speak.. thank god I already have the motor apart.. I would hate to have to pull it back out and take eveything off again...

I can get a set of kl31 intake.. but not the exhaust... hahah its on the back burner for now.. trying to find a full set....if I cant then im going with colt cams..

as for the valvetrain.. if you have not done it befor.. I would stay away...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

hgallegos915 wrote:Its 10 hp more.
It's no more or less hp, not that anyone has proven anyway, it's just shifts the power up the rpm range.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Kirk95gs wrote:
as for the valvetrain.. if you have not done it befor.. I would stay away...
why?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Well It just seems that it would be a lot of work.. I was looking putting intprep valves and springs in.. but after further discussion with some techs at interprep and the board I decided to leave the oem ones.. after all they will handle what I want anyway.. but dont let me discourage you from doing this...

Back to the subject... Well I know newer j-spec millenia motors came with 190 hp motors ( info from probetalk ) I thoguht that the kl31's where more aggresive.. longer duration on the intake and exhaust.. thus more air flow = more hp??? I might be wrong though..
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

31 cams do have more lift and duration it will mostly shift the powerband but it will also give u a few more ponies ur high end will be MUCH stronger the 31 cammed ze vs. the 01 cammed ze the 31 feel they have ALOT more power
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If you have enough mechanical know how to pull and install a new motor in your mx3 you can easily handle switching out cams. If your motor is fairly new and wont be that hard to pull, you should be able to pull the motor, switch out the cams, and than put her back in all in one weekend.
With the motor out i bet you could switch out the cams in about 3 hours max. The hardest part of installing the cams is making sure they are seating evenly, and the cam gears are aligned properly. This is all outlined in the shop manual.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

If your planning to stay N/A then swap them. If you wnat full potential from your ZE then obviously get some colts.

As a few others say you won't gain much but it wiull definitly shift your powerband. Since the lift is more on the kl31's they will actuallu make the car gain a few ponies. I have driven kl01 cammed motors and kl31 motors. Everything is better about the kl31's. they just amke the driving experience totally different.

solo_ryder. If you were down this way and could take my car for a spin. You would know what I mean when i say the driving experience is totally different.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
kanipimp

Post by kanipimp »

Hey Kirk 95 GS I think you're talking about MY cams I'm selling, and I'm pretty sure Solo is too.
Just so you know, I swapped the valve springs and retainers and timing belt/water pump without pulling the motor. It was about 8 hours of strait work and an exhaust cam rolled off the motor and broke (hense the reason for intake only or selling with DE exhaust cams).
From KL-ZE Strait neck KL31 MX3 to RHD 300zxTT
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

LOL.. might be.. .. will have to fight to the death for them!!!!

theres more out there for sale.. just got to find them... Solo if you want them take'm buddy... I'll find some .. if not i'll get a set of colts or something...... I wont be able to work on the motor for a couple months anyways.. trying to buy a house in NB so I can move all my tools/motor up from NS...
kanipimp

Post by kanipimp »

I've been talkin to Solo for a LONG time. He was just askin about them incase he built up the motor over the winter.
He got a couple other performance parts from me so he was just wondering.
I just thought it was funny that I knew who both of you were and this was my first time on mx3.com it at least 6 months. As you can tell, I don't post much
kanipimp

Post by kanipimp »

I've been talkin to Solo for a LONG time. He was just askin about them incase he built up the motor over the winter.
He got a couple other performance parts from me so he was just wondering.
I just thought it was funny that I knew who both of you were and this was my first time on mx3.com it at least 6 months. As you can tell, I don't post much

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”