Laguna Seca HPDE Fun

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Philthy

Laguna Seca HPDE Fun

Post by Philthy »

Here are some pics and a video of fun at Seca "Camp Zoom Zoom" from October 1st.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwDahHXbAE
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Lucky! that's freakin sweet.... :D
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Man thats bad-a--!!

Its gotta be a ZE too cause it sure sounds like one. You are giving that thing hell!!

Nice driving!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Thanks.

National Auto Sports Assoc. its a blast! :D
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

:2thumbsup: That is awsome! I like the first and second pic. The little mx3 is screaming in that video. Great stuff, keep those vids coming :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Oh damn.

J E A L O U S!

Nice driving, too.

What do you use for a camera mount?

Oh, and how are the RA1 tires?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

SHWEEET!! You are my new hero 8)
I would Kill to get some time on that track, but it is just too far for me... Until then I will live vicariously through your video. :driver:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hharb

Post by hharb »

sweeeeet, need i say more, ive always wanted to drive on a similar track, i guess one day...
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

What do you use for a camera mount?

Oh, and how are the RA1 tires?
Camera mount=scrap metal, half a tripod(bestbuy), 9/16 socket (used as a spacer), long 6x1.0mm bolt all fastened to a threaded hole on bodyrail above door behind trim panel. :freak:
True Sanford and Son style!
What can I say track days get expensive.

RA1s hold well and predictably and go about a season, a lot of guys at nasa run them. Race hankooks hold much better, but don'r last near as long and drop off quickly. At least thats the word at the track.

Thanks for all the compliments. You guys should check out
Nasaproracing.com or Hookedondriving.com or SCCA
A helmet and about 200$ and you could be on the track having a blast.
If you keep going you'll go through tires and brakes though. I guess thats a no brainer.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man, that was some kickass driving! Hehe, I got a Xbox 360 a few weeks ago and played Forza2 for about a week straight (been playing PGR4 mainly cause my friend play it and I have a regular bunch of guys I race with at night). But I've done alot of racing on Laguna Seca in Forza 2, and it's cool to watch the vid and picture the track and the corners. (I always come in too hot on the corkscrew tho, haha).

Your driving was great, you took it smooth on the corners, but gave her hell on the straights, but what I wouldn't give to drive a car on that track one day!

Philthy wrote:You guys should check out
Nasaproracing.com or Hookedondriving.com or SCCA
A helmet and about 200$ and you could be on the track having a blast.
If you keep going you'll go through tires and brakes though. I guess thats a no brainer.
Helmets aren't too bad actually. I always seen for for like C$200+ back home, but found a nice one at the go-kart track me and my buddies used to frequent in Virginia, cost me $139, and is DOT and Snell approved.

Man, seeing stuff like that bugs me, I have yet to get on a track day, nothing really seems to work out. Mazda had a track event at VIR back in spring, it was a 2-day high-speed racing school basically. Although it was in Virginia, VIR is about 3 hours from Richmond, and $500 for the event, plus a hotel, it just wasn't financially fesable at the time. As well, at the Meeting of the Mazda's held at Cayuga, I pre-registered for the lapping event for that, but was asked ot help judging, and we didn't think it would be a problem, but that got delayed and dragged out to where I missed the tech inspection so I couldn't go. I'm bitter about that because my parents came and apparently my dad wanted to see me race on the track, so I feel bad, I really would of liked for him to watch me race. I can't complain too much, I did get in on the MazdaSpeed press event at Dunnville, but I didn't have, and wouldn't of been allowed to drive my car anyway, but it was still great fun. I did get 1 autocross session in this year, was good fun too, but not the same as being on a race track. Unforunately the seasons pretty much done, especially back home, so I guess I just have to try again next year.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Its funny you mention Forza. My wife hates Forza. Its the reason i bought the MX-3, Its the reason I joined NASA.
That game is the most expensive game ever! :shock:

Oh I'm glad you mentioned helmets.

Before you guys run out and buy helmets, check with the organization your going to run with. You need to know what they require as far as snell rating, etc.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Nd4spdse wrote
I've done alot of racing on Laguna Seca in Forza 2, and it's cool to watch the vid and picture the track and the corners. (I always come in too hot on the corkscrew tho, haha).
You know its funny, I can't drive on Forza nearly as well as the actual track. The corkscrew is so natural in real life.
It's judging where to brake before the corkscrew thats hard (as you said) I know in that video I could have came in hotter its just hard to judge with the little hill right in the middle of where you should start to brake.

The nice thing is after forza I knew the layout before being on the track. Didn't know the bumps, rolls and surface nuances. but knew the course.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”