Battery charge question?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
XxantwawnxX

Battery charge question?

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I dont drive my car much anymore unless i go to the track. But i start it at least once a week and let it run for a bit...sometimes drive it around just to keep it fresh and not let it sit stagnant for to long.

My question is how long would it take at idle for the alternator to charge battery back to full(battery is in good shape only time it gets used is when i start it now and again). I would assume it would only need to charge what the battery got drained to start it. I just dont want my battery to die after say 3 months of starting and idling. My car idles high to so im sure its enough to charge.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That would depend on the battery itself. I have a drycell battery that recharges to full charge in under 5 minutes of run time.. WAY faster than any other battery I have ever seen. At a guesstimate.. I would say probably 10-15 minutes to be safe. If your getting battery drain while the car is sitting.. you could always install a battery cutoff switch.. usually very inexpensive and easy to install.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

its not a good assumption to think that if you dont use your battery, it won't lose any charge. i don't think letting it idle is going to do much, since obviously your car uses some electricity, which is going to use energy from the alternator and take away from the energy available to charge. i unhooked my battery once when it was running and it died. so obviously my alternator is not putting that much out at idle.

a good battery should be able to sit awhile without going dead tho. i barely start up my jeep once a month and its fine.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah my Mazda B2000 Pickup rarely gets started but maybe once every 2 months and it never has a problem.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

sweet

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”