Water under driver seat

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Jimbo1177

Water under driver seat

Post by Jimbo1177 »

While searching for something in my car today, I reached under the driver seat to find that the carpet under the seat was soaking wet. I am at school right now and have no way of jacking the car up to get a good look at the underside. I was wondering if anyone else had any similar experience? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

maybe you have a leak in the window/ door seal and it is dripping down into the carpet. are you sure it's water?
Craig LEE

Post by Craig LEE »

I had a similar problem with my 94. Flexing of the body and age of the sealant at the windscreen caused water to get in at both top corners. i had to 'gently' remove the black cover over the actual seal and reseal around the screen. While the goop was drying I replaced the cover so as to adhere to the goop and taped it into position until it set. It was hard to pinpoint because the water sneaks in in small amounts then goes to the lowest point, which is towards the back of the floor. If in doubt, pull your carpet up in the footwell and sit in the car and have someone fire a hose at the 'screen. Hope it helps.
Craig from OZ.
Jimbo1177

Post by Jimbo1177 »

I'm pretty sure its water. I didnt smell like anything. And I'm not sure if it would be a seal issue around the windows or doors as there is no evidence of water on the door panels or on the surface of the seats. The water is contained to under the seat. I wonder if there is a hole that has rusted through in the floor board?

Craig, did you notice any water stains on the panels? I'm just not sure how a leak in the windscreen would cause water to collect under the drivers seat without there being some evidence of where it was coming in. My car is a 93 is that makes any difference. Thanks.
Craig LEE

Post by Craig LEE »

Jim, the water goes in and under the trim panels on the inside of the windscreen. Then runs down the inside of those, under the kick panels/carpet in footwell and runs under the seat to the lowest point. It doesn't really have an odor other than that 'wet' smell. I don't think it would be a side window as that would run onto the sill panel first.
The sunroof for me was the prime suspect, but found that the pillars have a drain cast into them on production. You can pour cupfuls of water into the well around it and it comes out at the wheels! Very clever. The other possibility is the heater core behind the dash. That would normally have that coolant smell. Prey it is not that! Good Luck. Cheers.
Craig from OZ.
turbine

Re: Water under driver seat

Post by turbine »

I found exactly the same problem in my car a few days ago but under the passenger seat. Its pretty bad but again, i find it difficult to believeit could be from the windscreen as theres a raised bar that runs accross the underneath front of the front seats which i though would act as a dam.

Tomorrow Im gonna get a socket set and take out my passenger seat, pull up the carpet and exstablish exactly whats going on.

how did you get on sorting it jimbo?
21m sw london, mazda mx3 1.8 v6 1993 carribean turquoise blue.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”