my car IS supposed to rev out @ 8000

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jakes3

my car IS supposed to rev out @ 8000

Post by jakes3 »

i was puttin the car back together yesterday and i was vaccuming out the car and all that, making it as nice as i could. when i came across the back of the front floor. im looking at this bright yellow label on the computer for the car and it says something along the lines of "E.L. PROTOTYPES". also theres a couple lil boxes that are filled in "93-95", "KL-ZE", and a box that says rev which in the box says 8000rpms. anybody know what the hell computer is in my car? i need to get a damn digi cam.

i also have a je-50 intake sensor is that whats supposed to be in there?
I HAVE AN MX-3 WITH GOD KNOWS WHATS DONE TO IT!
things i know of, lol...KL-ZE, custom intake, exhaust, stg 2 clutch, short shifter, tach, mazdaspeed shocks/struts, purple springs (lol)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286878 = my last car
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

no k series motors need to be reved to 8k rpms they stop making power after 6500rpms
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Basically.. that ECU has had the rev limiter removed from it. Whether its a K8 ECU or a ZE ECU depends on the markings on the case (stickers). Just because you CAN rev your engine to 8000 RPM does NOT mean its a good idea. Thats like saying.. Well my speedometer goes to 160 mph.. so I better go 160 mph everywhere I go. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

even if there is other work done to the car (for example)?
things i know of, lol...KL-ZE, custom intake, exhaust, stg 2 clutch, short shifter, tach, mazdaspeed shocks/struts, purple springs (lol)

jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

Tunes67 wrote:Basically.. that ECU has had the rev limiter removed from it. Whether its a K8 ECU or a ZE ECU depends on the markings on the case (stickers). Just because you CAN rev your engine to 8000 RPM does NOT mean its a good idea. Thats like saying.. Well my speedometer goes to 160 mph.. so I better go 160 mph everywhere I go. ;)

Tunes67

lol gotcha, and i realize that just kinda trying to figure out whats up is all i guess :lol:

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

jakes3 wrote:even if there is other work done to the car (for example)?
mnemonic wrote:no k series motors need to be reved to 8k rpms they stop making power after 6500rpms
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

point taken, lol. thanks again guys

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

in order to make power past 6500 rpms you would need custom cams made but then reving that high if it is a klze would cause u to drop a valve eventually
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Revving to 8K just sounds cool, though. :lol: With my K8 ECU, I keep making power out to 7500 RPM because of the timing map differences.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

lakersfan1 wrote:Revving to 8K just sounds cool, though. :lol: With my K8 ECU, I keep making power out to 7500 RPM because of the timing map differences.
so is it chipped?
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

eh, oh well. i looked online to see what this "E. L. Prototypes" was and it came up as a toyota web site, lol. wtf is up with that? anyways would i be better off with a KL-ZE computer? i DO have a true jdm motor but i would also like to know if the JE-50 (VAF?) is the right one for my set up?

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

je50 is the correct maf/vaf ( i always get those confused lol) if your just running a k8 ecu you will want to use either a probinator chip or get you a klze ecu (kl31/kl36). Using a k8 ecu will not provide you with all your HP the motor can make, plus you'll get really bad mpg, unless your ecu is chipped.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've seen those ECU's around before, only maybe 1 or two.

For what I can find, they were ECU's reprogrammed/rechipped by CorkSport

http://www.google.com/search?q=klze+E.+ ... f8&oe=utf8

http://www.google.com/search?q=klze+cor ... ft%3Aen-US

More likely the 8000rpm note is that the rev limiter and fuel cut-off have either been removed or just moved up to 8000. Just cause it's been programmed to go that high, doesn't mean you should. A stock KL doesn't like reving that high and as most have said, it's pretty pointless because power drops off. If you put money into the motor and upgrade the valvetrain, you can rev upto 8000 (and beyond, depending on what you've done to the motor). But on a stock motor, the limiters are there for a reason.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”