ss autochrome header and exhaust Q's

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jakes3

ss autochrome header and exhaust Q's

Post by jakes3 »

i was interested in the ss autochrome header made for the KL-ZE. when i had my spec v and was on the forums it was raved about constantly (serious bang for buck and great quality) i got a lil curious and decided to check out what was available for the MX and luckily enough they make one and its a great price! does anyone else have their headers? whats your thoughts?

also as far as the stock set up goes, i think my car has had the stock cats removed. i would like to put them back on to be somewhat legal, lol. do the headers delete the cat or cats? how many does the car originally come with, with a 1.8l v6?

and lastly is there anyway to make the car sound good and keep the sound down a lil bit? mine has a custom exhaust on it and it sounds good, almost like a 350Z but it looks rediculous with a ghetto fart can on it. i want to clean it up a lil bit and make it sound like a v6, anybody have any ideas?
I HAVE AN MX-3 WITH GOD KNOWS WHATS DONE TO IT!
things i know of, lol...KL-ZE, custom intake, exhaust, stg 2 clutch, short shifter, tach, mazdaspeed shocks/struts, purple springs (lol)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286878 = my last car
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Flowmaster 60 series Delta Flow. Sounds amazing, just keep your resonator on.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

awsome! what about the cat situation? 1...2? will the headers replace the cat(s)
things i know of, lol...KL-ZE, custom intake, exhaust, stg 2 clutch, short shifter, tach, mazdaspeed shocks/struts, purple springs (lol)

umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

There should be one 3-way cat on your car. Don't thinks the headers delete it, but I'm not sure.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

cool thanks, hopefully someone else checks out the post and can get back to me. thanks again man

umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

KLZE Headers

This kit's on ebay. It replaces everything up to the cat. I would recommend this, to a high-flow universal cat, then fit to your existing cutom exhaust.

The KLZE kit is 2.5" piping though, I don't know what yours is. Don't think it's a great idea to have diameters arbitrarily increasing and decreasing throughout the exhaust system, as it would create high and low pressure areas. Unless your are strategically placing the pressure areas, but I have no idea how you'd come up with where they should be.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Many people are going to give you different suggestions for muffler

Personally, i went Magnaflow because alot of people on Probetalk say that sounds the best

Ill be back in a min, ill post up some links to help you out
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I have the ss autochrome headers.. I bought them about 4 yeras ago or something.. the install was kind of tricky on the back side of the block.. its not to bad if you have two people though... one under the car and the other on top... you might have to use your old egr valve line.. or just delete it all to gether .. (block it off) I do belive they send plugs with the headers.... as far as the cat, my mx-3 only had one and one rezinator.
If you use the ss headers you will have to cut and move your cat 6" to the rear of the car ( if you are going to use your curent setup) I just made a custom 6" stainles test pipe with two flanges at work and bought the pacesetter cat back and it all bolted up fine... (dont really care for the sound of the pacesetter exhaust untill it heats up.....I'm planing on changing sometime) maybe remus if I can find one at a decent price...
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

SS Autochrome/XS Power headers are pretty much the only viable option these days, since the choices are very limited.

Pacesetters are rubbish, Bosal don't fit well and cost too much, and Hotshot headers are no longer made.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Kirk95gs wrote:I have the ss autochrome headers.. I bought them about 4 yeras ago or something.. the install was kind of tricky on the back side of the block.. its not to bad if you have two people though... one under the car and the other on top... you might have to use your old egr valve line.. or just delete it all to gether .. (block it off) I do belive they send plugs with the headers.... as far as the cat, my mx-3 only had one and one rezinator.
If you use the ss headers you will have to cut and move your cat 6" to the rear of the car ( if you are going to use your curent setup) I just made a custom 6" stainles test pipe with two flanges at work and bought the pacesetter cat back and it all bolted up fine... (dont really care for the sound of the pacesetter exhaust untill it heats up.....I'm planing on changing sometime) maybe remus if I can find one at a decent price...
How is the CAT working for you and do you have emission testing in your country?

I think I might go with Pacesetter for a CAT
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

lmao funny u wanna go with a pacesetter cat but on probetalk in ur sig u have a big saying to NO for pacesetter
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I had to get a custom 6" Hi flow cat from a muffler shop for the safty inspection... we do have emmision test but we do not need it for safty yet...

for the price you pay for getting a pacesetter cat, and then installing a custom exhaust... I would just take it to a exhuast shop and have a custom job done... they can do whatever you want.. just tell them what you would like to have.. and what sound you are going for... might run you anywheres from 300-1500$ depending on what you are looking for... I built one for my first mx-3 full custom after my headers and it ran me 4-450 for all the parts and labour....that was a full custom cat back including the cat, with a stainless dual 2" tip on the back..
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

ok so if i relocate the cat on the car to where the header ends and exhaust starts i will be ok? i do have to go through emissions so ill need to be able to pass. then ill have a custom exhaust set up done with whatever muffler i decide.

this magnaflow muffler how loud would that make the car? is there a link to a sound clip somewhere?

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

The sound depends on the whole setup. What cat you have, what headers you have, etc.

Magnaflow won't be too loud if you drive it lightly like a regular car. Once you get past the low RPMs, at cruising speed it's fairly quiet, definitely quieter than most ricers. If you want, you can always get a silencer.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I recomend a resonator if you want a smooth deep tone. for those that have heard my car will know what i'm talkng about.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”