N/A High Reving big BHP setup?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tommy D

N/A High Reving big BHP setup?

Post by Tommy D »

Hello,

I have a ZE and have got bored of the performance. I cant be bothered to boost the ZE as i like the N/A scream. I may sell the car soon so it all hinges on if i can get reasonable power with a N/A rebuild.

Does anyone make a Big BHP high reving kit for the ZE in terms of internals, Throttle Bodies?

I know someone that can do the work and rebuild the engine, i just need the parts ie valve springs, higher comp pistons, whats the way to go? price? It must be a bulletproof setup but also produce good power, ie 250bhp+ is this possible?

Cheers to anyone that can help and give answers. I have done a search and found a few bits and pieces, can anyone recomend a setup or experienced it?

Cheers, 8)
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I dont think there has been anyone that has done that yet. Buy a Mustang V8... :P
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

You will be better off searching on probetalk.com, the guys over there have done alot more with kl motors than most people here.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

dont take juans advise plz plz plz never buty a mustang lol anything possible with alotta money to burn.. u can get everything for the KL its usually just limited to a cupple and most of the time one manufacturer.. on probetalk theres a bulk buy for colt cams maybe u otta get in on it
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

fieromx3 wrote:just limited
nothing is limited just people on this forum here the word "custom" and they get scared and run away. Custom does not always mean expensive it just means you have to do some work.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well im just talkin for parts that are available for us from manufacturers thats is limited to us but if u are lookin for 250bhp u will have to do some custom work.. mostly a cutoms intake manny..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

it's going to cost more to make a 250hp setup NA than a turbo, what about n2o? are you not interested in nitrous
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Mustangs may seem faster and seem to ahve more power but they don't. Although you can make them to 500hp+ very easily...

the kl just takes a bit of work. Best bet is intake manifold. and some cams. The lift on our cams is plenty. thats why when you look at aftermarket cams the lift isn't much higher than ZE spec. But the durations are longer which help us ALOT. Paeco makes a 2.9L stroker kit for the kl's you may wanna look into. Personally I think if you do a rebuild and bore the cylinders, mostly to clean it up nicley, but hell well your at it bore then .040 you'll gain a few ponies there. about 12:1 compression, race cams,port the heads and get ferrea 1mm oversized chromly valves(or Manley they make some too) Good intake manifold and definitly a standalone fuel system.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I hear some people have problem with heating after doing a bore and stroke?

But anyway, I could see it becoming possible to get 250whp N/A. But its going to need alot of work.

These engines are, how old? They got to be more then 12 years old. For a 12year old engine, the stock numbers arent bad at all. You could just go turbo
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

i've never heard of anyone having cooling problems after doing that typef work. Although it is possible.

oh and on another note. I just noticed the thread title says "
High reving" what do you mean? high reving as in most power in the upper range which is what it mostly does already, or do you mean like 9-10k rpm monster. It is possible. But you will definitly need to upgrade the lubrication system. The stock oil pump pretty much does nothing past 8500rpms.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

The reason i was disinterested in going the Turbo Route is that our gearboxes are crap and no one does a rebuild kit.

I have Toyed with the Idea of a GTO rear engine setup, 4x4, but its just an MX3 at the end of the day. That would cost 12k GBP, or 24k USD to do and end up around 650bhp. That would be great but for a little more money i could buy a Maserati V8 TT 3200GT, a lot classier etc.

I think ill just leave the car sit on the drive until i can figure out what i want to do. I thank all of those who got back to me with ideas and NA cams, inlet etc. My friend thinks i should ditch the inlet and use bike throttle bodies (GSXR 600) i think we will play with that maybe....
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

If you want more NA power, it would probably make more sense to get a different car with better NA improvement capabilities. ZE is already fairly maxed out, and it would cost a lot for very little gain.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Tommy D wrote: My friend thinks i should ditch the inlet and use bike throttle bodies (GSXR 600) i think we will play with that maybe....
If you want to use Individual Throttle Bodies, look at Miata.net. A racer with a Miata swapped in a KL and then did ITB setup because the stock manifold would have been facing the wrong way when installed longitudinally as in a rear drive setup.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

Whisper wrote:If you want more NA power, it would probably make more sense to get a different car with better NA improvement capabilities. ZE is already fairly maxed out, and it would cost a lot for very little gain.
i wouldnt say that man they have the potential to make as much power as hondas gerry sica has 280whp n/a and runs 11 flat at 122mph or leo323 has itb, tec3 ems and cams and makes 230whp n/a and revs to 9k rpm ZE has potential u just gotta know how to build it up
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I don't know. Has anyone actually done a 250 whp NA ZE? If it were reasonable, it would've been done, right? I'd say it's not worth it. Realistically everyone boosts a DE to get that kind of power. It's fraction of the effort and probably cost, and it's not even the limit. You can boost to 300 whp and over.

If you must have tons of NA power, seems you might as well get a Miata and fit in a Ford V8, plus you'll have RWD.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”