i dont know what i have but it can potentially be good

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jakes3

i dont know what i have but it can potentially be good

Post by jakes3 »

i was reading up a bit on a few things and i dont really understand the lingo really. i just picked up a 92 mx 3 and apparently it has a jdm kl-ze motor with a stage 2 clutch and an exhaust, rear strut bar, BS (bulls---) intake and i think a short shifter. im not sure what intake mani i have or if its even a real jdm motor but its got serious potential. it is a 2.5 v6 and from what work tells me im running on a 1.8l computer!? what the f--- is up with that? so anyways im tryin to figure out what went wrong with this swap. when i drive it, it sputters a lil bit from time to time and its annoying as hell. the kid i got it from says he put a 300zx fuel pump in it? if thats possable? im kinda car savey but not so much with these cars and the mx-6's so im in need of a lil help. if anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it. the car shifts hard as hell too i dont know if thats normal for a short shifter (shrug). im just trying to figure out what i have to get this car up to par and hopefully pass emissions, if thats possible. i just did the spark plugs today i got wires and the cap and rotor will be done tomarrow so a tune up is pretty much done, next is a synthetic oil change.
I HAVE AN MX-3 WITH GOD KNOWS WHATS DONE TO IT!
things i know of, lol...KL-ZE, custom intake, exhaust, stg 2 clutch, short shifter, tach, mazdaspeed shocks/struts, purple springs (lol)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286878 = my last car
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Hey if this is all true then you got a sweet car! But first your going to want to make sure that you got a true KLZE and not the north american KLDE. To find out, look in the V6 FAQ section of this forum, there will be a thread in there about identifing a KLZE.

Now, if it IS a KLZE, your going to want to get a different ECU, because it won't run to it's full potential on the 1.8L ECU (k8 is the engine it used to have). So you have two options. one is to go on ebay and buy a Japanese KLZE ecu for 150-200, or by a new EPROM chip from a guy named Probinator (probegtze@hotmail.com if you want to get a hold of him) Its 40 dollars (i think) and you can put it into your stock ECU if it is the correct kind, if not you can get a different mx-3 ECU or a probe/mx-6 ecu for relatively cheap.

Now after you do a tune up, make sure that you actually TUNE it. Set the idle right, as well as the TPS, and that should take care of the bucking issues. If not, then you may have a vacume leak somewhere.

If you want to fit a better intake you can get an Integra pipe of ebay and a K&N filter.

For the tranny, you may either need a new bushing, or change of tranny fluid, or maybe it's just a stiff tranny (old, lots of KM's, hard driving will do that)

As for the fuel pump, its possible he put a 300ZX one in but I haven't heard or seen it done, and i don't know the specs on it or weather or not its' better/worse than stock. Search around the forum for that information.

Try that out and post back up with results
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

i did check that out ( the JDMness of my motor) i did notice the code kl31-101 on one head and on the other i think it was different. maybe somewhere along the lines of kl31-1A1? maybe i could be wrong, not sure. so as for the engine harness...does that need to be changed? or is it ok to use a 1.8l harness on a 2.5l motor?. i live in CT if anyone is from around here and can help me out in person id appreciate it.
things i know of, lol...KL-ZE, custom intake, exhaust, stg 2 clutch, short shifter, tach, mazdaspeed shocks/struts, purple springs (lol)

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Thats a real KL-ZE with those numbers. 1.8L harness works fine with that motor, everyone on this site with that motor is using their stock harnesses. Where in CT are you? I'm in Queens NYC.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
!vtec-this!

Post by !vtec-this! »

how much did u pay for this car if u dont mind me askin?
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=77496445
My Car: Mazda MX-3 v6
14.5 @97mph
2.328 60ft....still more room for improvement
Only 165whp
Now boosted & New #'s to come
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

im in derby, ct its out by bridgeport or new haven area (close to both).

i picked up the car pretty cheap from a friend of mine, $800.

i just really need to get it runnin right i just did the plugs yesterday and ill be doin the cap, rotor, and wires today after work. i hope this works

ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

$800?!? Lucky guy.

It generally costs over $1500 to swap in one of those motors after you factor in shipping and all the other parts you'll need like a clutch and ECU.

You should post up some pics of that car.

-David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

jeesh, you pretty much got that car for the cost of a decent KLZE engine alone. You got yourself a great deal if all it needs is a tune up.
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

apparently the guy who had it b4 my boy did most of the work. he was originally sellin the car for about 2500 and when i asked him he said 1000. he had the car sittin for a year or so i guess. i was in a bind and thats all i could afford at the time so he helped me out a bit. i just really hope i can get this car runnin right. im a lil iffy about the tranny too or shifter or whatever it is making the shifting a pain in the a--. hopefully i can get this car running the way it should soon.

should i be looking into the 2.5l ecu for this set up?

Vanished

Post by Vanished »

OK email probegtze@hotmail.com and tell him that you have a KLZE with a JE50 air sensor, and what intake you have. If you don't know, there is another thread in a FAQ or v6 section about intakes. Also, you'll need to take out your ecu (behind the cd player area...under the dash at the back, near your feet) and open it up...take a picture of this, or write down the eprom number on the eprom chip. the Probinator will tell you if his chip works or not with your ecu. If it does, by it and put it in, if not then get a northamerican 2.5L ecu (probe or mx-6) and get a chip for that from the same guy. Make sence?

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

yeah i think i get it.

what about the tune up parts im trying to get, lol. i got plugs and wires for an mx6 and it seems fine so far. when i got to doin the cap and rotor neither of them fit the distributor!? what parts am i goin to need to do this tune up?

thanks for the info vanished, hopefully we can k.i.t. here so maybe you can help me along? im not a total noob to cars but this is just a different beast than im used to. ill try to cooperate the best i can, hopefully i dont give you guys too much of a hard time, lol. thanks again

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you got any pics of this car and motor? sounds like you got a steal on it!!

there's tons of info on this site too... just read through the V6 FAQ for starters :D
jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

no unfortunately no pics yet, ill try to get some for you guys

Vanished

Post by Vanished »

No problem. The first thing you need to do is learn how to use the search feature, it's under the mx.com banner, in between the links to FAQ and MEMBERLIST. When you search, make sure you mark the dot that sais "serach for ALL terms". Somethings are more difficult to find, somethings are quite easy.

As for plugs and wires, mx-6 ones will fit for good for wires, but you want to use different plugs. Go out and by NGK BKR6E11 spark plugs. They are the ones that most guys use. As for disty cap and rotor, you probably don't have a KLZE one on right now, so just get one for a 92 mazda MX-3. If it doesn't fit you might have a strange one, so just bring back the rotor you need and they'll match one up.

Change the fuel filter, check your belts, change your oil, change your PVC valve, new air filter, what ever else hasn't been changed recently, and check and set your TPS and your ILDE (there is a FAQ for these as well)

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

jakes3

Post by jakes3 »

where is the pvc valve? ive heard of it b4 , just dont know where to find it or what it looks like, lol

thanks agian bro!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”