Regular BP Swap: Worth it?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Lookwuticando

Regular BP Swap: Worth it?

Post by Lookwuticando »

Ok, I see tons of people on here heavily into swapping BPT's and all that into their cars...I know that must be bad-a**, but...

I'm not really willing to go to that much trouble/expense in the event of an engine swap on mine...I get speeding tix enough in my SOHC 1.6 as is anyway...imagine that :D

I found out yesterday I have 700 dollars worth of oil leaks and I also am losing water somewhere, all the more reason to go ahead and swap to an upgraded motor in the foreseeable future...

So, is a plain old 125HP BP swap gonna be a good improvement over this
popsicle stick and rubber band I got under the hood now? It'd have to be, right :) ? How much additional HP would a CAI on top of that add usually?

I know there's at least a few around here that have just done a simple non-turbo BP, so what has been your experience? Happy with it? About what'd it all run you cost-wise? Thanks!
92 MX-3 RS
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

yeah it will wich i did it sooner when i was 19-20 years old..

putting regular bp is a way better improvement over the 1.6 sohc.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

a 40hp bump is always good.

It will be a different car and it is DEFINATLEY WORTH IT!!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Lets just put it this way, A BP a 4000rpm is like the b6 sohc at 6000rpm..

It is well,Im satisfied with my N/a Bp..
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

Well, it's encouraging to know you dudes are digging your swaps...
something to look forward to.

So the mechanic I talked to said they don't do "performance" anymore, because it's not "reliable" that way...I'll obviously be looking for a different shop...I know that's a load of @$#% though, since I've done enough homework to know the BP is coming from
cars based on the same plarform as the mx-3 anyway...but has anyone run into any problems? Did you guys do your own?
92 MX-3 RS
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I did my own
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

As did I, I thought it was going to much harder, But it wasnt, its pretty simple.. Read 4cyl faqs theres some things on the swap..
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”