So fellas here it is .... turbo ze first in el paso

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

hey sometimes u got to let people learn the hard way and say later on

I TOLD YOU SO..

but hey to each his own..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

He should be fine with the fmu afpr and if he gets a wideband or someone to tune it right. His turbo is of very good quality, non of that ebay crap. 4 psi non intercooled isnt that bad. Intercooler would give him a few ponies but his set up is fine for now.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Everyone on here says to read Corkey Bell's Maximum Boost. Well, in there, he says that an intercooler can actually hinder a turbo setup more than it helps it. With 4 PSI, he isn't going to need an intercooler, it would do more harm than good. It would restrict air flow too much. I'll post an exact quote when I get home and find it in the book.
No more MX-3.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

finally someone sticks up for me ..... there was a thread in the forced induction section where we discussed that for me having an ic would not be beneficial..... it would hurt me .... read any performance book... i dont need one ..... as far as the looks go...well to me its more important be fast..... now that it is i can focus on the looks .... as far as the emblems on the fender... i had to cover some stuff the previous owner did to it... he dropped super glue there and stained it.... so .... but yes they are coming off and im putting on a jdm baby on board..... as far as the rest of the car... well i like it ..... and when i feel like painting it i will..... right now im building a show car for my wife and son... so most of my money is going to that because my family is my number one priority.... but either way .... if you like it thanks for the props... if you dont well too bad... its mine not yours....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

there are alot of car out there that dont have intercoolers, from factory and addon kits. for the difference its going to make i probably would not bother either at 4psi. i would invest the money elsewhere.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

You have a "Family" rudy???

Who does it consist off...You hector and all thsoe on Mexi's!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:finally someone sticks up for me ..... there was a thread in the forced induction section where we discussed that for me having an ic would not be beneficial..... it would hurt me .... read any performance book... i dont need one ..... as far as the looks go...well to me its more important be fast..... now that it is i can focus on the looks .... as far as the emblems on the fender... i had to cover some stuff the previous owner did to it... he dropped super glue there and stained it.... so .... but yes they are coming off and im putting on a jdm baby on board..... as far as the rest of the car... well i like it ..... and when i feel like painting it i will..... right now im building a show car for my wife and son... so most of my money is going to that because my family is my number one priority.... but either way .... if you like it thanks for the props... if you dont well too bad... its mine not yours....
Hey now i said you would be fine at 4psi also : P :D

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Lol. That's right Hector and all the Mexicans are a part of my family. My five squad family! Lol. I have a wife and a 4 month old son that loves boost.
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

the only reason i believe it needs an intercooler is simply with the setup like it is now that engine bay is going to get alot warmer that it naturally runs, and we all know you cant even touch a klze when therre warmed up, now you've brought more exhaust venting heated up piping into the engine bay making it alot more warmer in there. If your not going to do an intercooler get some type of vent setup or hood scoop or something to get air in there to cool it off more.

oh and yes please remove the mazda emblems on the side, i dont mind the "mazda" one but the 2 below it gotta go lol

so now you should be deciding about some type of managment on there, whether you want to get just a piggy back on there like MAP-ECU, or megasquirt or spend some money and go tec3 :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:I have a wife and a 4 month old son that loves boost.
'

that's right - get him started young! boost training FTW!! lol
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

not to jack the thread... but i can touch the engine when i have been running all day and i wont burn my hand.. odd.. maybe overcooling..

going back to the post.

I think the mazda emblems are nice. I have YET to get on a ride on that car.. YET..

HINT HINT rudy.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Okay, sorry for the delay in posting this information, I've been kind of busy.

On Page 47, Corky lists a rule: It is absolutely incorrect to think that "any intercooler is better than no intercooler."

On Page 72, he goes on to write: Second, too great a pressure loss pumping through an intercooler can raise exhaust manifold pressure by such a large amount as to demolish virtually all the power increase offered by the intercooler.

Throughout the entire Intercooler chapter, he explains in depth the different types of intercoolers, and ideal locations for them, and how to find the correct one for your application. The main rule he was stressing was that they should be as close as possible to zero resistance, but that in reality, there are very few that come close to that ideal.

In other words, if you are running a really low boost, an intercooler just isn't going to do much for you, and in some cases, might even be detrimental to your turbo power production.
No more MX-3.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

I would lose all of the badges.
T61 powered KLZE
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I would lose them too actually. He did say there were covering something..lol. Lets just wait and see the car when he gets it fixed up a bit more like he says. It might bbe good. Give him credit for egtting this far.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Thanx fellas. Now I'm debating what color. Either black on gold , or just doing it ferrari red again. I would like it to be in white on hold but my 4 door civic is getting painted that color so..... By the way i am getting 22 miles to the gallon. And Hector you haven't been to my house!
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”