Complete Exhaust Reworked!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Complete Exhaust Reworked!

Post by SuperK »

My little B6 got some new piping last week. Yay?
Genie Headers installed, new flex pipe, new magnaflow hi flow cat (EPA certified. I'm so green!) went 2" pipe to match the headers, and Flowmaster 60 muffler.

Sounded like arse. They tore out the resonator, (forgot they'd have to do that, stupid me) and the pipes rattled like a tin can smoking crack, IF a tin can could smoke crack.
I was so out-honda'ing the honda's, so embarrasing. I didn't want to drive the car. :( I missed my resonator.

So I ended up getting the Flowmaster Hushpower II (brand loyalty?)

SO very happy with the end results... as far as sound level is concerned. It's quieter than stock manifold, resonator and the flowmaster muffler. Big plus on a daily driver. and no RAT A TATTLE.

Now performance, I tell ya, I do feel a difference!
I feel SLOWER! Heh... f'ed my powerband up, I still have problems finding it again. Maybe too big for my current setup, but as soon as I put a few more ponies on it, I'm sure it'll help out. Or I hope it will help out. Cuzz if it doesn't help, I'm not doing a thing about it.

So Hushpower II + 60 Series = Daily Driver Goodness. I think that's all I wanted to say.

Oh, and the Genie headers I put on... they looked nice... but as soon as you turn the car on, the paint burns off quicker than you can say, "HOLYCRAPMYPAINTBURNEDOFFLOLWTFTHESEHEADERSSUCKARSEIWANTMYMONEYBACK!"
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

:laugh:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

what does the header look like, i just bought the probe one from ebay.
how much did you pay for it?? (if you dont mind me asking)
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

also how much was the magnaflow cat??
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

The SS headers for the probe are different from the ones I got.
Mine were Genie Headers that were designed (very poorly) for the B6.
They are mild steel painted blue. With the blue burned off. So it looks like bare mild steel.

The SS will be stainless and will shine and look real pretty.

The Cat was purchased for 65 dollars at autopartswarehouse.com .
They sometimes send me $5.00 off coupon codes in emails. I think I have a free shipping one somewhere in my spambox, right next to the spam labeled "mega dik"
Volones

Post by Volones »

This may, or may not help, but a powder coating company near me can do a hi-temp silver powdercoat on engine parts. They then polish the part in a process similar to a rock tumbler, but on a much larger scale and much gentler to the part. Their parts come out shining almost like chrome and can withstand really high temps. Someone 'round your area might be able to do it too (if you want to go to all that trouble and cost that is).

Here's the link.
http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/spwmovies.php

watch the last movie, the one about the aluminized finish - good for up to 1800 degree temps. :2thumbsup:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”