My custom LED taillights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Open_dump

Post by Open_dump »

where did u get those led's? do they sell kits of bunched led's together like that?
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Open_dump wrote:where did u get those led's? do they sell kits of bunched led's together like that?
I got them from Princess Auto, a surplus store. You should be able to find similar ones anywhere they sell Transport Truck/Trailer lights. I can even get 4 inch round clear Stop/Turn lights for about $30 canadian. I thought they might look good, but they're too big.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

WOW...these look great. Im thinking of making some LED lights for my GFs car. How did you wire these up?

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

sk8erdude802 wrote:How did you wire these up?
Trial and error lol. Cut the wires and tested them to see which ones were running and which ones were break etc. Then I spliced them together and wrapped each wire with electrical tape.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Urbanconcept wrote: Trial and error lol. Cut the wires and tested them to see which ones were running and which ones were break etc. Then I spliced them together and wrapped each wire with electrical tape.
so are you saying these LED's are just splice and play with the original wiring? no load adjusters or whatever needed?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

LEDs for the tail/running/brake/reverse lights dont need load resistors (they do need voltage drop resistors but those assemblies have them built in).

The turn signal LEDs will flash faster as if the bulb is out - if one wants to change that they can either add a load resistor (which mimics a normal bulb and wastes as much electrical energy) or you can disable the load sensing circuit in the flasher unit -

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

shameem wrote:The turn signal LEDs will flash faster as if the bulb is out - if one wants to change that they can either add a load resistor (which mimics a normal bulb and wastes as much electrical energy) or you can disable the load sensing circuit in the flasher unit -
Good to know!! I hate the fast flashing, but I've slowly become used to it lol. Its ok too, because I think I'm going to switch back to stock housings for the winter, so the fiberglass doesn't get ruined.
purewhitemp5

Re:

Post by purewhitemp5 »

shameem wrote:LEDs for the tail/running/brake/reverse lights dont need load resistors (they do need voltage drop resistors but those assemblies have them built in).

The turn signal LEDs will flash faster as if the bulb is out - if one wants to change that they can either add a load resistor (which mimics a normal bulb and wastes as much electrical energy) or you can disable the load sensing circuit in the flasher unit -

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 7&start=15

I really need to find this article ^^^^ When I click on the link it says file not find. Can someone help me out here......please!!!
Savin

Re: My custom LED taillights

Post by Savin »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just replace the 2 in "BB2" with a 3. It'll take you to the articles from the dead links.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
purewhitemp5

Re: My custom LED taillights

Post by purewhitemp5 »