amp wiring

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Qrusher

amp wiring

Post by Qrusher »

hey guys im kind of new to installing systems but i know a little from helping some friends. i got 2 2channel kenwood amps and 2 sets of component rockfords. do you actually run the wire from the speakers to the amp? or do you run them to the stock wires?
Dan
s1zzl3

Re: amp wiring

Post by s1zzl3 »

depends
some people like running their speakers off their amps for clarity (i would recommend it for higher rated speakers)
but u can jus have them running from your deck..
your kenwood amp has to be suitable for running speakers...say for example your not going to use a 1000watt amp for a speaker.
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

well heres the thing i got right now.

2 kenwood kac-7202 920w each. got one bridge running 460/920 to two 12" subs runnin 1100w max.

i got 2 sets of component rockfords running 75/150 for the 6.5's and 60/120 for the 5 1/4 in the rear. and 4 tweeters running off of the rear speakers. my neighbor blew my crossover so we have them just wired in parallel. i read that the amp pushes 230w rms x2 channels at 2 ohms. 150w rms x2 at 4 ohms.

what i thought was with the rca jacks from the deck to the amp amplifies the speakers? am i wrong? i tried running the speakers straight off the amp and i got no sound from any speakers. im pretty new at this, i have 4 speakers up front wired in parallel running a total 2 ohms off of it. but their just wired to the deck wiring and the amp is connected just by rca's. thanks for your help s1zzl3. l
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

You have to connect the RCA's from the deck to the amp, and then speaker wires from the amp outputs to the speakers. Make sure you have stereo amps, not mono with two outputs. Also, MAKE SURE you disconnect the deck's speaker wires from the speakers when you connect the amp to the speakers or YOU WILL fry your deck.

If you want to run both sets of components off one amp in parallel, and your amp is capable of 4 ohm stereo, you must make sure it is capable of 2 ohm stereo.

Good luck.
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

well i disconnected all the wires from the deck to the speakers. wire two speakers just to test straight up to the amp and i get nothing. no scrathing, no static i get zilch. am i doing something wrong? all ihave running off of the deck is the power, acc, ground, and amp turn on wire, and the rca cables. and igot one speaker wire to channel one and speaker two to channel two i turn on my deck and bam nothing. thanks for your help just wondering why it doesnt work haha
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

1) If you have a test light, make sure you are getting 12-volts, and ground at the amp, and that it is turning on.

2) Try, a different set of RCA pre-outs at the deck.

3) Perhaps the deck has a setting to turn on/off the pre-outs (never seen that before).

4) Amp and deck gains turned up to audible level.

5) Incorrectly connected speaker wires to amp output.

6) Speaker wires shorting together or to ground.

5) Perhaps speakers are blown?? Disconnect a speaker completely and connect the positive and negative terminals of a 9-volt battery to the respective terminals of one (disconnected) speaker. Only do this for a VERY short period of time. If you hear a static popping, your speaker should at least be able to reproduce a frequency. If you hear nothing, there's damage to the speaker's circuitry.

6) Defective deck.

7) Defective amp.

8) Defective RCA cables.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

the amps are turning on, im planning on getting new rca cables so ill check that when i get them. well if i wire the speaker wires from the deck to to the speakers the speakers work. i tried switch the speaker wire back and forth nothing. tried changing the spots on the rca cables. nothing. when i check voltage at the positive and negative terminal at the speaker i get 0volts. ya ill check my deck manual on the pre-outs. thanks for your help this is just bugging me. because they way i had it before it was just running off the deck wattage correct? and not the amp?
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

well i think its my deck. i got a pioneer DEH-4600mp. ive been searching around the net and found some other people who were having the same problems i have. maybe the internal amp inside the deck is blocking my amps? but all i know is that my deck doesnt power on anymore and im just gonna replace it and ill keep you guys updated. thanks uncamar1 for your help
Jon
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

No worries, keep us posted.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

well i got the deck to power on again(stupid room fuse blew) so obviously there is a problem somewhere, cant find it. i tired hooking my subs up to my amp i get nothing out of them either. totally weird since they have no correlation to the factory wiring. what do you guys think?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Qrusher wrote: my neighbor blew my crossover so we have them just wired in parallel. l
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :shrug: :confused2:
Qrusher

Post by Qrusher »

well i only got a 1 way speaker a 6.5 rockford power which doesnt use a crossover. i also tried wiring my subs up to the amp. if the speakers are wired to the deck the subs and speakers work. if the speakers/speaker is wired to the amp and not the deck i get no sound. everything powers on, deck has power but no sound. thats why i think its the deck

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”