Rusty Strut Towers

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
lowridah313

Rusty Strut Towers

Post by lowridah313 »

So heres my problem, my front strut towers are starting to rust out. I fear that I will soon see my strut making an appearance through my hood. So I'm thinking of going to the junkyard and cutting out the section I need and having it welded in. I would like to know if anyone has had this problem, and what they did or didnt do to solve the problem. Any info and opinions would be great, as I dont want to scrap my MX.
-Tom-
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Are you talking about the inner fender part? around the upper strut mount?
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

Yeah if you look inside your wheel well where the seams are and you can see it from inside the engine bay. If needed I'll post pics.
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can do that, but I would suggest letting a body shop do it from start to finish or at least talk to them first and find the one you want to do the welding. You will need to cut the part correctly or they will not have enouhg to weld them back in properly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

Well Pat just to let you know I am a welder :welder: I just wanted to know if anyone has had or has this problem.
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I am sure it is possible, if you look at the parts catalog for the MX-3 Mazda sells the inner fender as a seperate part. I have no idea what Mazda would charge for such a piece of metal, but it can be done if they sell it that way.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”