Another, but different, vent question

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Volones

Another, but different, vent question

Post by Volones »

Before I even begin, I searched for this info, I even read the online manual, but couldn't get a concrete enough idea of how to fix my problem.

Problem:
My dash vents ('95 pod style) don't stay where I aim them for long. They always seem to end up pointed at the floor after a day or two.

Proposed solution:
I would like to put some sticky-back felt on the inside of the vent trim rings to help keep the vent nozzle from falling downward. It would adhere to the rings and give me a layer of felt between the rings and the nozzles. I think this would be the easiest way to fix the problem, but I'm totally open to suggestions. I thought to use felt because I want the nozzles to move easily, but have enough surface friction that they won't move on their own.

Question:
How hard is it to take the vent trim rings off? Can I do it without removing the entire dash? The ones on the farthest right/left of the dash look like they would pop off easy enough, but the center ones don't look like they're a separate unit from the dash itself. Is this the case? Can I just pop them out with a screwdriver? I would just go out and try, but I don't want to screw up my interior.

Thanks in advance to all for sharing your knowledge.

Vol
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I have this same problem, and I thought I was going nuts. I always center them, I thought little airvent fairies or knomes were adjusting them while I was sleeping.

I'm not sure how to remove them, but if you can get to a wrecker, try it out there. I'll be going over the next couple days, so if you don't figure it out by then I'll let you know.
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

Well I'll tell you right now the dash is coming apart! The vents are actually held in the dash with 3 screws from the rear. As for the far passenger side vent I do belive it pops out (dont quote me!) And as for the sticky sided felt, thats actually what they use from the factory, I've had them apart (same problem).
-Tom-
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I took some one sided sticky foam (thin) and put it on the back of the housing containing the vent pods.

Worked for me.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Like Tom said, you just have to remove that center panel. It's one big piece that goes around the speedo too so make sure you get all the screws.

As far as seeing where the screws are go to the online manual and go to section "S" and it starts on S-61 for the dashboard and trim...

http://www.mx-3.com/95manual/
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i thought i was the only guy annoyed with this ...
i FIGURED OUT !!

To hold the pod style vents in place...just place them where you want them pointed ... and then push it inside:
IT works i tell you :shock:
You will feel the vent going about 2 mm inside, and that holds it in place :)
Happy vent holding :D
Volones

Post by Volones »

OutlaW wrote:i thought i was the only guy annoyed with this ...
i FIGURED OUT !!

To hold the pod style vents in place...just place them where you want them pointed ... and then push it inside:
IT works i tell you :shock:
You will feel the vent going about 2 mm inside, and that holds it in place :)
Happy vent holding :D

Sadly, I've been doing this already, and they still move on me. Although this does help them stay for more than 1/2 hour or so. Thanks though!

Vol

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”