Problem with my ZE, cracy dashlights

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
aguiloco

Problem with my ZE, cracy dashlights

Post by aguiloco »

hi, some days ago when I turn on any electricall accesorie like lights, windows or fan some of the dashlights turn on, another times still on during the drive. I dont feel any power lost, but the battery has only 12.4V and 12.5 when engine is running. My generator could be dead? another idea?

Some time ago I read about a test, if I umplug the negative from battery when the engine is runing it should still runing, but if it die the generator isn´t charging, thats true?

thanks!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If you only have 12.4V or 12.5V at the battery while the engine is running.. the alternator is dead and needs to be replaced.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

I thought it too, but I did more test:

Now I go again to check the problems and when I start the engine the dashlights go on too, move the car out of the sun to work and umplug the negative from battery, the car still runing using only the alternator...

I follow the steps on the workshop manual section G-009 and got more than 14VCD between terminals S and L, between B and the other two only a minor tension, is that OK???

Before that test the problem of the dashlights go out and all work in good shape again, but days ago the problem has fixed alone too and return some time before...

I´m confused about that....

I have another problem that could be causing this, since I got the car at the fusebox where should be the 100A main fuse the presious owner put a wire, and this wire becomes so hot and damage the fuse case, how I can check where is the problem about that posible ellectrical failure?
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

I know that my espeaking english is like a kick in your a--, but please forget it and help me...
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

aguiloco wrote:I have another problem that could be causing this, since I got the car at the fusebox where should be the 100A main fuse the presious owner put a wire, and this wire becomes so hot and damage the fuse case, how I can check where is the problem about that posible ellectrical failure?
Are you saying that instead of the 100A main fuse there is a wire? that can't be good... those fuses are there to prevent the wiring harness from melting if things go wrong...
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

yes, a big wire where the 100A fuse should be.... This since I have the car, 5 years or more... And I think too that this couldnt be good, I dont try it, but surely if I put the original 100A fuse will blend... How I can start to find that issue?
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

aguiloco wrote:I know that my espeaking english is like a kick in your a--, but please forget it and help me...
No te preocupes mi hermano - estamos aqui para ayudarte! :D

I had similar crazy dash light issues with an old S-10 Pick up... in THAT case, the problem was a chaffed wire in the master IP wire harness... the wire had rubbed against the cross car beam (the big metal corss car bracket in the dash) and worn away the insulation on the wire causing random shorts which did all kinds of crazy things to the IP lights...

Probably not the issue here but I thought I'd mention it.

Oh yeah - fixing that problem was a MAJOR pain in the a--!
93 GS SE
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

thanks Purple!

Since I did the last test to the alternator and batery the dashlights problem dont come again, maybe a bad contact, or the problem will come again in near future.

My actual preocupation still at the wire where MAIN fuse should be

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”