missing part V6

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
OutlaW

missing part V6

Post by OutlaW »

:oops: Another parts question ...

Can anyone help me out...it's just that i saw more than a hand full of car's with this part :

but my car never had it :

what's going on ??
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

That would be your intake resonance duct. Some theory about smoothening out the waves of intake air, I'm not completely sure about it. Likely the previous owner installed a CAI, and upon removing it, never reinstalled that hose.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Oops...my bad. Clearly you were talking about the part in front of that duct. Sorry, not sure what that is.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That is the wiring to the airbag sensor. Not all cars came with it. I cant tell you if or when the cars in your part of the world came with airbags.. but in the US, all 94+ MX-3's came with airbags.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ACtually, that doesn't make sence. Outlaw has airbags in his car; he has a thread about using a Miata wheel with the airbag on his car and keeping the airbag function. But he says he doesn't have that wiring...weird
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I dont care if it makes sense or not LOL Thats what the arrows are pointing to and what is present in one picture and not in the other picture ;) Granted I have a 94 RS with airbags so I also have a personal upclose knowledge of the part. But here is a pic from the shop manual showing the same thing. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Oil dip stick is missing too.

+1 difference
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm assuming the second picture is of your car right Outlaw?

Ok assuming that it is, look where the wires go that you are missing. That airbag sensor box is in the second picture under the bracket also but it looks like the wires have been run next to the hood latch cable instead of up the middle of the car... looks cleaner anyways IMO :roll: You can see that the wires come out on the other side of the coolant overflow tank and up to the airbag connectors by the windshield wiper motor.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Mooneggs wrote:I'm assuming the second picture is of your car right Outlaw?

Ok assuming that it is, look where the wires go that you are missing. That airbag sensor box is in the second picture under the bracket also but it looks like the wires have been run next to the hood latch cable instead of up the middle of the car... looks cleaner anyways IMO :roll: You can see that the wires come out on the other side of the coolant overflow tank and up to the airbag connectors by the windshield wiper motor.
yep i was just about to post that. Both cars have the connector. One goes along teh fender the other goes along the airbox. You can follow both of them.

Is that the oem strut bar? Too abd that won't clear the curve neck ze manifold.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

mx3autozam wrote: Is that the oem strut bar? Too abd that won't clear the curve neck ze manifold.
yeah I got an OEM strut bar too... I tried and it wouldn't fit over the ze :(

looks cool on my k8 though and seems to handle better over an aftermarket bar...
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

Thanks you guys.
I thought it was the hood opening cable... and i also thought that it was only misplaced.
So it's the airbag unit...ok . Same thing :P

The OEM strut bar cant be fitted with the curved neck ZE ?
And what about with the straight neck ?

I really want to get my car all restored before i change my engine:
My fog lights ... OFF , need to get them fixed
My rear window defroster ... OFF , need to get that fixed
My driver door opening sensor ... OFF , need to get that fixed
My Front air dam missing, need to get that, or buy a new aftermarket front bumper
Lowering springs ... got to buy them ...

and so on , and so on ...
I dont have money :(
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

maybe some of those things are just blown fuses or relays?

I think the OEM strut bar would fit over a straight neck because that plate doesn't stick up as high for the vris
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:ACtually, that doesn't make sence. Outlaw has airbags in his car; he has a thread about using a Miata wheel with the airbag on his car and keeping the airbag function. But he says he doesn't have that wiring...weird

THATS F-ING CRAZY!!!

Airbags are designed and optimized for a specific vehicle crash pulse. They are also tailored to work with a specific steering column which have vehicle specific break out and stroke charactieristics (steering columns are designed to collapse and ride down aborbing energy when the wheel is loaded by the occupant through the airbag in a collison. ) This is a complex energy management equation which is vehicle specific. Not only is it possible that the miata airbag could be too soft for MX-3s crash pulse (occupant rides through the bag and takes excessive chest G's = injury) its also possible that since the miata is a lighter vehicle, the bag could be more "aggressive" than the MX3s bag... this translates to the possibiity of the bag actually causing injury to the occupant...

Sketchy... VERY sketchy.

I would advise Outlaw to put the MX-3 Wheel / bag back in his car pronto.

And... if that wiring is Airbag related, its most likely going to the sensor. If the wiring is not there... not good. And while on that topic - NEVER MOVE AN AIRBAG SENSOR> They are tuned to the frame harmonics and very senstive... move it and you will render your airbag worhtless or dangerous.

[/end rant]
93 GS SE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”