2 cat converters?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

2 cat converters?

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

so I found out we have 2 cat converters. This brings up a ?

If 1 of the cat converters was removed would I still pass my emissions test (PA if it matters..)

I'm just curious of this because i've never seen any car but ours that has 2 cats on it...

thanks!
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Cars sold to california have two cats - one precat or warmup cat and one regular cat (because california has strict emission laws). Never heard of any other state adopting those laws - so you should be fine with removing the precat (not the regular cat).

Pre cat is the one right below the exhaust manifold. The regular cat is underneath the car right below the oil pan i think. After that there is the resonator and muffler.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I live in Canada, and I have a warm-up cat, as well as the main cat. My car, however, is a '96 and OBD-II.

Removing the warm-up cat will apparently not be an advantage to you. Yoda can explain it to you fully. But the just of it is that unless you replace the warm-up cat with a pipe that gradually increases in diameter at a certain rate, you will actually hurt your performance. Now the main cat, that's a different story.

You just want to avoid freeing up the exhaust too much, and decreasing the velocity of the exhaust gases.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

one of my buddies gs actually has 2 cats i was helping him install his headers and looked underneath and saw 2 one in the usual stock right below the shifter and another one about 2' back
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

One of those would be the main cat, the other one, farther back is likely the resonator. I believe they all have one. It tries to cancel any resonant frequencies at the muffler.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

no this wasnt a resonator, i know what they look like this was another cat
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

as long as it's fine thats good to know..

I am buying repro's exhaust, and being new to this stuff, was afraid i couldn't pass emissions with his exhaust...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”