1995 windshield the same as a 1996?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
TMacK

1995 windshield the same as a 1996?

Post by TMacK »

Hey everyone,
I hope someone can answer this: I am replacing my windshield on my 1996 MX-3 and I was wondering if there is any difference with the 1995 windshield :?: I know these cars have a nasty habit of being different in parts by one year but I figured the windshield should be the same for both years. Let me know, thanks!
:) Cheers!
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

why are you replacing it? because you really dont want to replace windshields on cars (ruins structural integrity), but instead take them to a place that fixes cracks and things like that
TMacK

Post by TMacK »

I am replacing it because I am selling it and there is a huge crack all along the windshield that cannot be fixed and in order for it to pass a safety it needs to be replaced. I have a hard time finding 1996 parts here in Canada due to to it being the last year that Precidia's were made and they didn't sell alot of them. It doesn't really matter to me about structural integrity due to me selling the car because it has been a lemon since day 1. Windshields do need to be replaced sometimes, people do it all the time I just want to know if 1995 and 1996 windshield's are the same.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Most body panels and such are interchangeable throughout all the years. I'm going to take an educated guess that the windshields are the same.
TMacK

Post by TMacK »

cool, thnx!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

How do you mess up the car's "structural integrity"? ? my friend had his replaced by a new one.. and car seems ok.. I dont see how it would..
Infinity wrote:why are you replacing it? because you really dont want to replace windshields on cars (ruins structural integrity), but instead take them to a place that fixes cracks and things like that
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

[quote="Infinity"]why are you replacing it? because you really dont want to replace windshields on cars (ruins structural integrity), but instead take them to a place that fixes cracks and things like that[/quote]

WTF?? How would that ruin anything? Cars arent born with windshields, they get put in at the factory the same exact way a glass place will put them in.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

look guys my mom worked at a shop that fixed windows...i know what im talking about
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Infinity wrote:why are you replacing it? because you really dont want to replace windshields on cars (ruins structural integrity), but instead take them to a place that fixes cracks and things like that
The windshield doesn't contribute any structural support to the car and replacing it just involves taking out some rubber weatherstripping, no structural components are touched. I also can't imagine how you can fix glass without producing a glaring optical distortion or without taking the glass out (since the whole crack has to be sealed and chances are it extends into the weather stripping).
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

mr1in6billion wrote:
The windshield doesn't contribute any structural support to the car and replacing it just involves taking out some rubber weatherstripping, no structural components are touched. I also can't imagine how you can fix glass without producing a glaring optical distortion or without taking the glass out (since the whole crack has to be sealed and chances are it extends into the weather stripping).
i didnt know it was a full crack thats why i asked so no he couldnt have it fixed like i said...but yes it does provide structural integrity take it out and get in a car crash see what happens.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Actually, not to argue, but the windshield does play a very important part in the structural integrity of any car with the unibody design. The frame's strength is supplimented by various body panels including the windshield.

However, I don't buy that replacing the windshield will ruin the car's structural integerity. It is a much too easily damaged part.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Replacing the windshield *properly* does not ruin structural integrity. A cracked windshield ruins it. I am not sure if any of this applies to the mx3. But a properly designed windshield is an important part of the structural integrity. It has to be able to spread out the crash force so that vehicle crumples as the manufacturer intended. It also has to be able to support a bit of the crush force in a roll over - that is to keep the roof from caving in prematurely. The windshield is also listed as a passive restraint system - it is supposed to keep the driver (and passenger) inside the vehicle in a frontal crash. Those are NHTSA requirements i think - how much of it is followed by manufacturers and glass replacement companies is anybody's guess.....

To answer the original question - the windshield should be the same for all years unless mazda went thru the pain of redesigning it and getting it recertified....
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

glass does not provide structural support...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Hoodzy wrote:glass does not provide structural support...
you've already been proved wrong with field testing sorry dude

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”