Timing

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Babymx3

Timing

Post by Babymx3 »

Is it possible to retime the MX3?

I have a 93 spec and I have no power/accelleration in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear.

I heard you can turn the distributor but another person told me I have to take the timing belt off and retime it that way.

Whos right?
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

you can advance or retard your timing by hooking up a timing light to one of your spark plug wires. then loosen the 2 bolts holding on your distributer. slowly turn the distributer clockwise to advance your timing. but if you do advance your timing then you should use no less the 91 octain fuel.
94 mazda mx3 rs 1.6l DOHC... probe 4-2-1 header, 2" catback, a spec CAI, advanced ignition timing, NGK plugs/ wires, obx light wight crank pulley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2754605/1
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You need to jump TEN and GND in the diagnostic box before you make a change to your ignition timing by moving the distributor.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Babymx3

Post by Babymx3 »

zoom_zoom94mx3 wrote:you can advance or retard your timing by hooking up a timing light to one of your spark plug wires. then loosen the 2 bolts holding on your distributer. slowly turn the distributer clockwise to advance your timing. but if you do advance your timing then you should use no less the 91 octain fuel.
Ok...I heard the part about the timing light and moving the distributor.
So the other guy was just trying to get money from me.

I just want to "adjust" the timing.

I can drive the first 2 gears fine, but I cant accellerate much at all in the higher gears.

I was told that my timing could be off and thats not letting me get any power when I need it.

I hate driving on the highway trying to pass someone.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Timing wont "Go off" by itself.. adjusting it isnt going to help. Likely your timing belt has jumped one or more teeth. The only way to make this right would be to reset the cam gear and crank gear. Might need to replace the timing belt tensioner as well. Its also possible that the timing belt itself has stretched. If this is the case.. or if the tensioner is weak.. the problem will only get worse.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

lol, either that or you are just not use to driving a car with 105hp. jk
94 mazda mx3 rs 1.6l DOHC... probe 4-2-1 header, 2" catback, a spec CAI, advanced ignition timing, NGK plugs/ wires, obx light wight crank pulley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2754605/1
tazman734

Post by tazman734 »

i had the same prob with mine 1 and 2 worked great 3-5 sucked and hills killed me after looking around under my hood i found that my timing belt slipped or the dunm a@@ that worked on it setup up wrong i re timed and now run the nuts... i would take the covers off and just look at the timeing , if thats not right then turning the disb will not work anyway
tazman734
Babymx3

Post by Babymx3 »

tazman734 wrote:i had the same prob with mine 1 and 2 worked great 3-5 sucked and hills killed me after looking around under my hood i found that my timing belt slipped or the dunm a@@ that worked on it setup up wrong i re timed and now run the nuts... i would take the covers off and just look at the timeing , if thats not right then turning the disb will not work anyway
We are in the same boat.
How did you get it retimed?
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

Easy as pie thats how. Its around here somewhere.

Aha!. If you have a SOHC:

Set the crank pulley to TDC. Loosen tensioner and remove timing belt from the cam. Now align the timing marks on the cam(one arrow on the cam pointing up and one on the back plate pointing down. Slide the belt back on and tighten the tensioner. Use a timing light to make further adjustments.

A DOHC would be similar but now you'll have two cams to align. Not all that hard.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”