Has any one used megasquirt standalone with a wideband

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
MechaManZero

Has any one used megasquirt standalone with a wideband

Post by MechaManZero »

I just wanna know if its any good. Or if you have any other suggestions or know of any other standalone that works pretty good please tell me and link me. I know some of you guys use haltech I believe its called.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

I have never used or messed with a megasquirt. so can't say good or bad either way.

My standalone of choice, MicroTech. I will be running a model LT10s. My brother runs one on his FC, and older version LT8, but it works great, easy to tune...I just got the dash unit controller to set-up in the car..pretty much tells you any info you need, and can be unpluged so a laptop can be connected. Our tuner/shop loves microtech's...and recommends them. I believe they are pretty popular in Puerto Rico too, I think Rafi on this board with a 10.something mx-3 turbo runs a microtech. Ok, sorry for the long reply...

http://www.microtechefi.com/
:D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

nope no one here with a turbo setup running megasquirt runs widebands lol :roll:
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Thanks hotsiit I am going to take a look.

Mnemonic, wideband O2s just show you a more accurate air fuel reading and when you have it hooked with some Standalones that adjust fuel like Megasquirt 2, it adjusts better than Narrowband because of a more accurate reading. :lol:
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i know the purpose of a wideband :) i was just being a smart a--, most of the guys on here are using widebands with there megasquirts
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

yeah but i am not talking about the piggyback megasquirt, i was more aiming for the stand alone if anyone knew anything or tried it out
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

When I ran my MegasquirtII on my F2T setup, I only used a wideband separately to create my tune. After that it was open-loop all the way and no problems.

Widebands can be integrated with many different type of standalones and vice versa. And while Megasquirt did start out as a very capable piggy back, its now considered a true standalone.

I for one consider it to be a great budget standalone. Not everyone can afford the top $$ stuff. I paid $400 for my unit and a couple bucks for my EDIS ignition set-up. And it impressed everyone at the tuning shop that have never heard of it and only worked on the "good stuff".
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got a nice AEM wideband guage with bosh o2 wideband sensor. The gaige itself has output for a stand alone.. Wideband is a MUST for a proper tune.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I've been using a wideband with my MS for as long as I can remember. I blocked off all the stock O2 bungs and use just the AEM wideband.

My stock ECU is on a shelf in my garage so I'm sure I qualify for "stand alone" version of MS.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I know all about how good widebands are. I am talking about stand alone systems and fuel adjustments in the standalone. I am wondering if megasquirt (MSII) is just as good for automaticly adjusting fuel ratios using a wideband like other standalones like AEM can after it is tuned properly. Basically I want to watch out for atmospheric changes in temp, density, and dampness. I want to avoid a big BOOM on my motor if you know what I mean.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

:sadwavey: Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

I'm in a hurry - to eat, and don't have megasquirt, but thought I could direct you here.

This is a quick link to a page from megasquirt. You may want to read through all the megasquirt info to find answers.

http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/

Don't flame, just trying to be helpful.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

MechaManZero wrote:I know all about how good widebands are. I am talking about stand alone systems and fuel adjustments in the standalone. I am wondering if megasquirt (MSII) is just as good for automaticly adjusting fuel ratios using a wideband like other standalones like AEM can after it is tuned properly. Basically I want to watch out for atmospheric changes in temp, density, and dampness. I want to avoid a big BOOM on my motor if you know what I mean.
Not only are wideband o2 sensors good, they are a must for any tuning.

Having said that, yes you can use megasquirtII in closed loop mode in order to make adjustments based on wideband input.

You can also use its autotune feature to create a rough map to start a tune with.

But why you would want to have your engine running in closed loop? Your engine can still blow up if you experience any pressures or timing thats out of what your initial maps are made for. In an open loop tune you take those changes in pressure, temp, and so on so that it will automatically make the adjustment and no boom.

I ran my ms unit in open loop(no o2 feedback) and never once had any problems. Wideband was used only for tuning. Even when I hit spike of 25psi. My fuel and timing maps were made all the way up to 30 psi and 7500 rpms even though my boost controller was set at 20 and rev limit at 6500 rpms. And my cold start tune was close perfect as was my fuel adjustments as the temp of air and coolant rise. So any "unexpected" changes went unnoticed because I had tuned my MS to know what to do.

The only way your going to avoid any "BOOM' is if you have someone who knows how to tune work on your car.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Cool. That got me all set up on that stuff now I gotta find a tuner in or close to NY. Anyone know anyone lol. I was also thinking Haltec cause the other guy with a gtr motor is using it.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

OHH OHH my megaswuirt v2 board is ready from the probetalk bb, im just controlling fuel and spark :D i recommend that. well a v3.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Forced Induction”