"Squishy" Chirp sound from Cargo Area?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
PurpleDinosaur

"Squishy" Chirp sound from Cargo Area?

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

This has been eluding diagnosis / isolation for several months so I'll ask the collective...

At slow / medium speeds on smallish "squareish" hits I get a noise from the cargo area that I can only describe as a "squishing" sound... I'm stuck on it being the strut oil moving through the valving...

Am I barking up the wrong tree or on the right track?

I've riden around in the cargo area while my buddy drives and tried to isolate the sound - can't. it appears as though when my wieght is in the cargo area the sound is greatly diminished (210#).

Anyone have any ideas? this is driving me nuts!

Also - if I replace sturts, any reccos? I have searched and mostly see refs to ZX2's and Tokiko's (sp?)... what about KYBs? Any good? My useage profile is "spirited street driving" no serious launching and definately prefer the twisties over straight line acceleration.

93 GS SE, running 15x7 Borbet C's w/ Kumho ASX 205/55/15. Struts and springs are stock as far as I know - might even be the originals.

Thanks for any help.

-the purple dino
Last edited by PurpleDinosaur on July 23rd, 2007, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 GS SE
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

TTT

Edit to say that the sound is more accurately described as a squishy or wet sounding "chirp"...

No one gonna take a stab at this one?

-Barney
93 GS SE
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

take off your rear speaker covers and check the upper strut mount plates, ive destroyed two sets with my car being lowered over the last 4 years. it will break out in the middle and will make chirpy clunking noises depending on how bad its broke as well if the car is lowered, worn struts. other than that make sure all panels in the trunk and on the hatch are tight with the clips and screws, maybe the spare tire is loose?
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

What your describing sounds to me like it may be the spare tire rubbing againsts something. Might be why it goes away while there's weight back there. Worth a shot?
Cody
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Don't think it's the spare tire. Mine does it too, and I took out all of my spare tire material a long time ago. It only happens when I am going over bumps @ 10mph and under. Could be my struts. I don't know. I am planning on replacing the rear ones within the next few months with Koni Full adjustables. That might be a start? I will keep you updated.
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Oops - shoulda checked this thread... ok - I'll update by post:

Dali:
Currently the rear trim is out - all of it including 2nd row - so its not loose trim.

Car is not lowered.

No spare in car at present either - I've been rollin' light weight style and liking it! :D Not much on Steez but definatly a + on ther performance side!

Not sure what you mean by the strut mount plates - I'll take pics and post em up for comments.

tehbrookzorz:
NO spare in car.

SSR Mx-3:
I'm with you - I think its the struts... specifically I think its the oil moving thru the valving under low loads... but I know jack about car suspension... pretty good with dirt bikes but cars? I know nothing! lol

As an aside - I sparyed the inside of my hatch area with rattle can bed liner... 3 cans worth... smelled like a-- for about a week but it really made a difference in reducing road noise. I also added foam behind the 2nd row lower tirm pieces and plan on doing the same when I reinstall my cargo area trim and carpet...

Thanks for the comments guys!!

-Barney
93 GS SE
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Thats not a problem. But I am going to hopefully get Dynamat for the entire rear trunk area. My exhaust is entirely too loud, so that should definitely cut down on the road noise. It could be a help, but I am not sure yet. But I will be ordering my front Struts within the next few days, and then I am saving up for my rear ones (Second thoughts on the Koni's, might go with tokico... but I am not sure. Need to do more research). But once I get my rear ones, I will surely tell you if that fixed anything. I should have the struts before the dynamat.

But by the sounds of it, from the driver's seat, it could very well be a rubber piece inside of the rear hatch latch? I am not sure.
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Dynamats too rich for my blood. :D

the rubber piece in the hatch is getting a piece of flock tape today, I;ll let ya know if does anything.
93 GS SE
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Ha. It is quite expensive, but I am thinking that it will be worth it. But ok, sounds good.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Check your spoiler!

Mine was sqeaking all the time too..chirp chirp chirp...it was a loose spoiler!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

I don't think that the spoiler is the problem. My rear was squeeking far before I even put the spoiler on (i didn't even have the black plastic garnish over the trunk because it fell off going down the interstate). But that might be the solution for other people.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

yence

Post by yence »

@PurpleDinosaur : when you say you're rolling leightweight, does that mean you took out the rear seats as well? In that case your hatch is rubbing the top of the rear bumper. Only way to stop it is a rear upper strutbar + an OEM V6 rear lower crossmember to firm up the rear again.
1995 noble green MX-3 RS (sold)
1994 clear white MX-3 GS (r.i.p.)
1987 white RX-7 FC
1993 mighty grey MX-3 GS
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I would recommend the ZX-2 S/r Strusts over any that you have mentioned. You can buy all four for under $175 and they are mor stiffly valved and have thicker rods than the Tokicos & KYBs.

Better performance for less money is always a good thing.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

SSR Mx-3 wrote:I don't think that the spoiler is the problem. My rear was squeeking far before I even put the spoiler on (i didn't even have the black plastic garnish over the trunk because it fell off going down the interstate). But that might be the solution for other people.
SSR: Are you driving my ride when I'm not looking??? :P Like you, the squishy's have been around since before I replace the non spoiler ganrish with a gs spoiler... My noise is definately not spoiler related.

Yence: Yep... nothing in the back at the moment except the Back seat Seatbelt retractors... and I have upper and lower strut bars (Stock GS lower + upper from eGhey - squish / chirp pre dates strut bars), I don't think the hatch interferes with the bumper but a little chaulk will provide a definitive answer.

Atlanta: Thanks for the recco... was planning on ZX2 Struts is/when I replace anyway... like you I have a hard time ignoring better performance for less money.

As for progress... didn't make any this weekend... opted to go fishing instead... lunker smallies and even a nice Walleye (3+ pounds)... Fish and chips tonight!

-Barney
93 GS SE
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Sorry that I haven't been responding lately, but for an update... I finally installed my rear upper Corksport Strut bar. I thought that this would help, but it didn't. I am getting a different squeeky noise, but it isn't nearly as loud as the original squeeks. O well.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”