ZE heads on a K8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kanatamx3

ZE heads on a K8

Post by kanatamx3 »

Has anyone ever put ZE heads and IM on a K8 block?

Just curious... I think i may need to replace the heads shortly.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had heard they dont bolt up or something
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

SEARCHING says NO
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

It would be interesting to try and see if it works. Having just rebuilt a klde and than tore apart my k8. I am sure the heads would bolt to the block. However i think the problem will be the difference in size of the combustion camber on the head to the cylinder size of the k8. I doubt a proper seal could ever be achieved. This is just my two cents having recently seen both motors apart.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I donno if it works or not. it shoudl bolt up no problem, but you would need to use k8 head gaskets and they might interfer with valves opening. Think thats what i read.

But I've always wondered what a k8 would be like with kl31 cams, curve neck manifold, headers and full exhaust and a fidanza. I recenently blew my ze up and thats my mods on it. I've been debating running a k8 in the meantime while i build a motor. I bet that thing would rev to high hell. I would love to see a dyno for that as well.lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

its already been tried you have to relise while yes they will bolt right up the coolant channels are not the same plus you have the issues with the valves, so could you bolt them right up sure, is it like honda motors where you can swap heads between motors, no
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

kanatamx3

Post by kanatamx3 »

It would be intresting to know how far off the coolant passages are. Does anyone have 2 gaskets for each motor and overlayed them to see how far off the coolant holes are? It might be possible to machine the k8 to accept the klze head.
cstott282

Post by cstott282 »

actually i have a new set of k8 headgaskets and DE gaskets so i will check it out when i have a chance
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

why even try to build up a k8, its a waist of time and money to do so, the internals of the block are bunk and it would be just as easy/cheap to send your heads to have port and polished and a more agressive 3 angle valve job, and you would get the same ending as the klze heads

kanatamx3

Post by kanatamx3 »

i can machine the block for nothing... but machining a head costs money. if i can drop klze heads on my k8 it's an easier swap. Plus if no one has done it before i'd like to be the first to try it out!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Just do it and let us know how it went.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

don't waste your time with it or even porting the k8 heads. Just buy a damn klde if you want more power. or for a few hundred more get a klze
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

The valves will hit the edge of the cylinder liner. It won't work Period!
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”