Cold Air and Exhaust

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
LU06

Cold Air and Exhaust

Post by LU06 »

Hey guys,
Just thinking about getting a cold air, and was wondering what diameter of tubing people are going with, also which brands seem to be working well?

Also, I would like to get a new muffler, just not a large, gaudy tin can, just something small that gives a little bit of a rumble if thats possible, i have the 1.6L DOHC. Any info would help, Thanks!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Just to let you know, if your mx3 is a daily driver, beware the cannon exhaust!
it'll sound good, sure, but oh will you pay for it on the highway!

what do I mean you'll pay for it? Well, here's an example:
Put cannon exhaust on car.
Get friend in passenger seat.
Drive down highway.
Talk to friend.

Everything above works out perfectly. The downside is your conversation with your friend will most definitely consist of,
"WHAT?"
"WHAT?"
"WHAT DID YOU SAY?"
"WHAT?"
"HOLD ON, LET ME PULL OVER SO I CAN HEAR YOU!"

I went from a cannon exhaust to a flowmaster 60 series and love it.
Has a wonderful low tone, and is VERY pleasant to drive in.

I also hear that Magnaflow mufflers sound great in Miata's, and they sport the same engine.

as for your cold air, what we do is buy the cheap cold air kit off of ebay. You'll find it listed as a kit for the SOHC, but it fits perfectly in the DOHC.

And when I say "what WE do," I don't exactly mean the whole board... just.. me.
LU06

Post by LU06 »

haha alright dude, i'll have to check that out, its a daily driver so im def going to have to look at the flowmaster, thanks! what size is your in/out? did you go with a bigger diameter throughout to get the most out of your intake?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I think the intake is 3"? I could be wrong...

As for my muffler, it's 2 1/4, but I plan on re-piping my whole exhaust to that size.

if you're keeping stock size, I'd say 2" on the exhaust. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the CAI makes the engine sound great. The muffler makes the engine sound great. Also gives you a reason to remove a LOT of plastic from under the hood.
But don't expect power gains from it. You're not letting a whole lot more in/out unless you're doing something drastic, such as replacing headers/exhaust, changing the cams or such. Maybe a couple ponies, but you're not going to feel the difference.

Also, remember to get a exhaust tip that clears the underside of the bumper when you get the exhaust. It'll reduce the resonance inside the chamber greatly.
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

i have the same motor and i put the ebay intake on which is a 3". it looks great and sounds even better. as for a muffler i have a probe 2.0 header with a 2" catback and a vibrant muffler. it sounds awesome, but SuperK is right, when you hit about 3000 rpm, it gets kinda loud. its not like a huge can that sounds rediculous like on all of the sunfires i see in town, but if you can the smaller one is better.
94 mazda mx3 rs 1.6l DOHC... probe 4-2-1 header, 2" catback, a spec CAI, advanced ignition timing, NGK plugs/ wires, obx light wight crank pulley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2754605/1
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

CAI and exhaust make the DOHC 1.6 MX3 sound pretty good. I remember doing this when I was NA and feeling a slight pep in acceleration. Nothing too dramatic but a nice little increase, it is only since I went turbo that the car actually started to feel fast.

I would also recommend a lightened flywheel and a lightened pulley if you are looking at mods to add some zip to a NA MX3.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
LU06

Post by LU06 »

this stuff is great and i thank you guys very much, but im not looking to spend to to much money, and the cold air just makes up for the lag when i run my a/c haha! you all know how that goes in this baby at one point or another :P
LU06

Post by LU06 »

Super K, do you have a part number for that muffler? cause around here (canada) we dont have 60 series for sport compact...apparently...
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Just a couple weeks ago I ordered the Flowmaster 60 Delta Flow from Performance Peddler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowmast ... enameZWDVW

I paid $111.00 Canadian including tax and shipping. It got here in 3 days. I was very impressed. You should go on the Flowmaster website and check out the part number for the inlet/outlet size that you want.
I got the 2" inlet/outlet. Your stock exhaust is a 1 7/8" outer diameter.

I'm very happy with the muffler, however it is a little on the big side. By that I mean it is easily seen from behind the car. I mounted mine as far forward and as high as I could without touching the frame of the car, and the outlet of the muffler only sits about 5" from the outermost part of my bumper. It makes it tough to find a store-bought tip the doesn't stick out way past the bumper.

One other thing that bugged me was I thought I was getting a silver finished one like in the picture, but it ended up being black.

Other than that I highly recommend the muffler, and would recommend getting it from Performance Peddler. I called them by phone, and the guy said because I called by phone he would give me a Preffered Customer price, but I'm sure that was BS.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Well I'll be, that's exactly where I got mine. And it came in black.

Although, I kinda like it in black :D

By the way, the "Preferred Customer" Price is probably since he doesn't have to pay ebay fees! That's what I'd do >_>

Cheaper for the seller by phone.

Are you happy with the noise level, umcamar1?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I'm very impressed with the sound of it. Against the warning of nearly everyone on the board I removed my resonator, but I don't find it too loud. It's got a nice throaty little rumble.

Only problem I have is at around 3000 rpm's, if I open the throttle a little wide, I get this cheap tinny rattly sound, only around 3000. I'm hoping it's something that will settle out as carbon gets built up a bit. Maybe its my broken 02 sensor.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”