did hei mod and still having problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One thing that still has me wondering is that crank sensor code. I think I would clear the ECU of codes.. crank it over a few times and check for codes again.. if that crank sensor code still shows even though it tested ok.. I'd probably still replace it.. especially if I could find one at a junkyard or otherwise cheaply. I suppose it could be a ECU issue.. but still seems weird that you are getting that crank sensor error code.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
dillon

Post by dillon »

can u refresh my memory on how to reset and recheck for the error codes, thanks
93 chev pickup- slammed tuckin tires
93 Mx3 - crap shoot
97 Plymouth Breeze - family whip
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Disconnect the battery cables for 5-10 minutes at least.. then pump the brake pedal 3-4 times. That will discharge any remaining charge in the electrical system. Then reconnect the battery.. and check codes to make sure its blank. Jumper between TEN and GND.. check the CEL light and make sure its not blinking. If its giving off codes.. you didnt discharge the electrical system completely.. try again. If its not giving any codes.. remove the jumper and attempt to start the car.. then check for codes again.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

dillon

Post by dillon »

ok pulled the codes getting

04 'NE1' camshaft/crankshaft position sensor
29 EGR vent solenoid

what should i do next
93 Mx3 - crap shoot
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

have you tried running the car in limp mode? (grnd/ten) same way you do the diagnostic but you just leave the clip in and crank the car, it wont rely on the sensors to start it. As for the egr code, ignore it, car will crank and run with the egr out and wont have any problems. Your crank/cam code i cant remember which one actually 04 is for if its the cam sensor thats located in your distributor, but i've ran my car on a faulty disty that the cam sensor didnt work on it just kept the car in limp mode and i got really crappy gas, the crank sensor though if it goes out will keep the car from running as it isnt able to time it properly. so i would say start there, just run and grab one from your local junkyard cost you like 5 bucks if that. if you follow your dipstick down you will see the crank sensor, and its pretty easy to replace just remove dipstick and unbolt the sensor and bolt the new one in. you will probably want to retime your car as well just to be on the safe side.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
dillon

Post by dillon »

yeah car wont run in limp mode, so i guess ill have to try the cranksensor 1st
93 Mx3 - crap shoot
dillon

Post by dillon »

oh and if this fixes it, whats the correct procedure to time it, thanks
93 Mx3 - crap shoot
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

LOL everyone on this forum expects that the HEI mod is the cure all to all your engine problems. It probably didnt fix your problem because your ignition module in your distributor was not failing

-ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
dillon

Post by dillon »

ok tryed 3 different crank sensors, 2 which were off running motors, and still no spark, nut still getting same 2 codes. 04 and 29, anyideas,
93 Mx3 - crap shoot
dillon

Post by dillon »

TTT
93 Mx3 - crap shoot
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Likely its not ever going to run with a code 4 thrown.. thats the cam position sensor. Even the HEI mod has to use that sensor to run. Its new distribtor time.

Tunes67

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:LOL everyone on this forum expects that the HEI mod is the cure all to all your engine problems.

-ryan
when did anyone say it cures all engine problems, i believe you've been miss informed or your reading the wrong materials, for his car symptoms the distributor failing is the most common, and also the most common way to fix it little hard to say what the problem is when your over the internet
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”