B6 to KLZE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

B6 to KLZE swap

Post by umcamara »

I've done a TON of reading on this forum for the past few months. I'm up until 5 in the morning sometimes just reading until I can't see the computer monitor any longer. My girlfriend can't stand it.

I've got a '96 RS. For the longest time I've been interested in doing the BP swap, and have been watching for the right donor car. But as of late I've become much more interested in the KLZE swap.

I would be purchasing a written-off GS donor car regardless, because I need a few body panels, and some other things.

My reasoning for the V6 swap is the following:

1) Since my ride is OBDII, I have to swap over to a OBDI harness to swap either engine. So I may as well swap the GS OBDI harness in.

2) I'll have the GS donor, so with a LOT of time I can swap over all the engine bay parts (rad, overflow tanks, power steering pump, crossmember, suspension, etc) I don't mind doing this.

Like I said, I've done a lot of searching, but still have a couple questions:

1) Should I get the wiring harness from the KLZE donor car, or use the one from the Mx3 GS. (Since I will have to swap harnesses regardless, I would like to get the proper one)

2) I've read some posts saying that the engine bay dimensions and mouting holes and such are different between the RS and GS. Aside from the obvious different parts, is there any truth to that.

3) Do the engine mounts bolt to the same locations, or do the mounts in my RS engine bay need to be cut and re-welded in different locations.

I realize that I'm asking a lot here, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

1) Unless your planning to fly to japan and get the wiring harness out of the KLZE donor car.. you'll just have to use the GS wiring harness.

2) No. Everything is transferable.

3) The GS has a different crossmember from the RS. You will need to transfer it to the RS for the front and rear motor mounts to mount up properly. Apparently you could also just drill out the holes of the RS crossmember and that would allow for the GS mounts too.. but I havent seen that done.. just heard about it. The left and right mounts will mount up in the same locations in the RS as the did in the GS.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

if you've got a donor car your going to want to swap to the Gs suspension and braking system
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

sense you have the entire gs parts car you could just install that 1.8v6 with the harness and the mounts to make sure everything lines up and runs before trying to put in a 2.5 i know they are the same, but if you knew that the 1.8 ran you could use it as a test to make sure you have everything hooked up right, i know its a little more work but i think it would be easier to sort things out that way. it only takes 2 days to swap a 1.8 for a 2.5 anyways. thats how i would attempt it if i was in your situation, because you know it will work, its just a matter of changing things lol

my 2 cents lol
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

The right side upper engine mount pocket unbolts from the fender. You will have to use the GS one as it is slightly differant from the RS one.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I won't be starting this for a couple months when I get a break from school. I'm sure I'll have many more questions.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

There are obd2 BPs available (95-98 protege) that *may* plug n play for your car.....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”