Need suggestions for keeping sub box in place

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Darcy

Need suggestions for keeping sub box in place

Post by Darcy »

Got a fairly small sub box (10" sub) maybe 12"x18"x12" (L*W*H) and I have a problem with it always thrashing around in my trunk. Need someway for it to stay in place. It is wooden and carpeted.

Requirements:
- Has to be easily movable as I haul equipment here and there and needs to be rearranged or completely removed at times.
- Can't stick to carpet as it just seems to pull the carpet around with it.

I was thinking of possibly drilling two holes in the floor, but this scares me as it is close to the gas tank, and then having a giant "U" bolt thingie (like the battery tie-down) that holds it in place.

Any other ideas?
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

put some stopper's threw the wood covering the spare tire, pretty much anything should work, maybe 2 peices of angle iron on both sides of the box.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Brilliant!
No more MX-3.
chew*

Post by chew* »

cargo straps work wonders, and guess what , they are designed to hold cargo in place...........
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I use two L brackets from Home Depot. Then bolted them through the bottom of the car. I know drilling through the bottom so close to the gas tank is scary, but if you measure and place the box correctly you'll be ok. Also, you want something strong. In a wreck that box can kill you so you want it to be well anchored. Take it to a shop and have them bolt it down if it scares you. That way if they mess up they are buying the new part.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Cargo straps! hahah I never even thought of that. Brilliant! :)
trimble

Post by trimble »

Velcro? I think it'd probably stick pretty good to the carpet. That way you can move it anywhere in your trunk too depending on what you need in the back. It doesn't just limit it to one space in your trunk...
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you get in a wreck with the box held down with velcro get ready to have an upclose meeting with the box and the back of your head = dead MX-3 owner or passanger. I wouldn't do that.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

I used my awesome ( :roll: ) woodworking skills and made up a bracket that bolted to the rear seat anchors, kinda hard to describe, but it worked bloody well

and yeah, velcro is great for shoes, not so much for holding a sub-box in place :shock:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”