MazdaNoob - 92 MX-3 GS-ZE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MazdaNoob123

MazdaNoob - 92 MX-3 GS-ZE

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Some time in October i was leaving school when it happened... I pulled away from the stop sign and the motor spudder'ed, oil pressure started going crazy i drove for another 200 feet where i could get off the road. Sure enough the #6 rod had left a window in the block. After lots of consideration the time has come to Build a ZE'd MX-3, im shooting for 200HP at the wheels.
Plans are
KLZE ~$750
K8 Chipped ECU (Awaiting Price quote...)
Pacesetter Headers $220
Not sure what im doing for a cat back yet
Im also considering doing MS (if anyone knows alot about it please add me to msn and talk to me, id like to find out more...)
No Cat $Free (YAY)
Interprep Valve Springs $130 (going to happen...)
Colt 218's (Not sure about this just yet but if i decide to ~530) Really debating on the cams cause i just dont want to have to spend so much money so fast... But on the down side if i dont do it initially i aint going to do it at all...
UDP $60 (Will happen)
Fidanza 9lb flywheel ~$300 (will happen)
Spec Stage 3 MX6 clutch(cheaper for some reason) $311 (Will happen)
SS Brake and Clutch lines. ~115 (Maybe)
Cross drilled and slotted rotors (149 for 4)
KVR Performance Pads Front And Back $100
Corksport Front Strut Bar ~85 (Might come after the ZE...)
ProbeAddiction 8mm wires ~105 (Might Come a little later...)
Last edited by MazdaNoob123 on August 1st, 2007, 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sounds like a tough goal with the parts you are putting in, to achieve that goal with what you have you may want to go standalaone like MSnS, that will probably get you there. If not, consider some head work like 3-5 angle valve job, new valves, port/polish/knife edged IM etc. Post up some pics of the car!
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

will do,
yea im not sure if im gonna make the 200hp mark.
i think im gonna end up right around 180.

Today
i pulled the cams out of the front most head of my K8 (keeping my K8 valve retainers)
and removed A/C of which im gonna cut out of my car belt system.
I also removed the alternator.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

GRR!!!! well i took the IM off today and started working on getting the wheel's off, lets just say 2, 1 1/4 sockets later and we still havent moved the nuts one bit...
Work some more on it tomorrow...
Update...
Well the lock nuts came off, it involved... A can of penetrating fluid, a 5lb brass hammer, a 3lb sledge, brass drift, Torch, 1 1/4 socket that is reinforced (Just more steel around the sides) $22 socket from hardware sales, a 2ft Breaker bar with a 6ft extension, a guy pushing really really hard on the brakes and me jumping on the 6ft breaker bar...
Thing went fairly smooth after that, however i ended up doing something the book forgets to mention... (Online manual M page 20... 2nd pic down..) they claim the lower ball joint bolt just come right off... well they forget to mention the bolt is a press in fit nut with what are basicly a nurl on it... Long and short of it.. It got in a disagreement with my Impact tool and well it lost. Nothing a little lock nut wont fix..
More to come later
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Motor is out
well after a ton of work, bloody knuckles and swearing the motor is out...

Next to come is the ZE
BTW im not the one standing next to the motor, that would be my brother that drove the car 20000 miles without changing the oil (Before i owned it...)
Im the one in the Blue coveralls :D
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Took the heads off today, and holly s--- my motor was a PIG inside... ill post pics later off the hole in the block and stuff...
Now i have to find a place to keep all this stuff dry... the motor is just sitting out under a tarp but its also getting torn all the way apart so it doesnt really matter, atleast i can sell some of the stuff to get the different back...
Tomorrow i get to look at what my clutch looks like, and hopefully the Flywheel aint to bad.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

still tossing around ideas, ive been working and my PC is all fucked up so i havent really been around... but anyway i thought id share some pics from the tear down of my blown K8
http://www.ghost.digerati-hosting.com/P ... ics/Motor/

seriously look at them... there ridiculous.
Also a funny fact about this is that
The wrist pin in the piston was not seized, the rod was still spinning on the crank and had no play in it (It was fine) the piston did not seize... yet the beam of the rod seriously broke in half, study pics 4 and 5
anyway ill chat back later
lerutis

Post by lerutis »

Chipped k8 ecu? :D where!
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”