Engine Dressup/CAI

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
curt

Engine Dressup/CAI

Post by curt »

Hey, just making another thread because that loser ruined the other one... Was just wondering about Engine Dressup kits and where I can get them? I've been looking everywhere on the net and can't find a thing. A link to some would be awesome! Also, I found this CAI website. Apparently you build your own CAI, and they ship you all the parts you need to make the CAI. The site is http://www.spectreperformance.com. Is this a good idea, rather than having to chop up another kit?
-Curt
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

looks like they have everything you need, 3 inch pipeing is not the best tho, 2.5 is much more suitable(with 3" you have much less velocity).but if you want to buy a set up from them just open up your hood and picture where you want it then mesure it out, keep in mind you want the filter to be in the fender under the stock location of the colant over flow tank.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i bumped my topic i made a while ago about Cold air intakes, its called Homade Air Intakes and its just a little under this topic. hope it helps.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you have the stock V6 you need a 2", the 2.5L V6 would use a 2.5 or 3"- just my opinion not factually based as I've not seen dyno info on different size intakes on the K8.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'm running 3" pipe on my K8 CAI.. partially by accident.. but it seems to run just fine.. wont have dyno numbers for a month or so though.. maybe a bit longer depending on cash flow and such. But that 3" pipe CAI sure makes a throaty growl when I goose the motor LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One other thing to keep in mind though about the CAI.. if you dont free up exaust flow with a performance exaust system.. it wont matter what size CAI you do.. your gains will be minimal and really only just sound cool. You may notice some small gains.. but wont reach your full potential without doing the exaust.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

93mx3se
BANNED Member

Post by 93mx3se »

what happened to it giving you a noticeable performance gain?
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

think of it like trying to fit 30 people through a standard single door only so many at a time can go throgh no matter how many people are pushing to get through, use a overhead/garage door and a lot more get through same thing in your engine.

no matter how much air your capable of taking in, you can only put as much in as comes out the other side, so by getting a better flowing exhaust it allows more exhaust gas to escape leaving more room for clean air to take its place, which is when having a CAI pays off
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

in all honesty it doesnt matter much anyway lol the vaf regulates the amount of air our engines take in regardless of the size of our intakes
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

what happened to it giving you a noticeable performance gain?
I take it this is in reference to the previous thread? That was a comparison of the Short Ram intake to the CAI. The short ram could conceivably hurt performance since it would be inducing a hot/warm or warm air charge to the engine. By comparison.. a CAI would give you a noticeable performance increase over the short ram since its giving a cold air or more dense air charge to the engine.

Please keep in mind that my speculation on the short ram is specific to the engine bay of the MX-3 GS model. The engine bay in this car gets very warm. Other car models (MX-6, Probe, 626, Millenia or non mazda models) may be entirely different. And since I have no hands on experience with those cars.. I wouldnt want to make this a broad general statement.

As a side note.. Timmie's analogy of trying to fit numbers of people through different size doorways is a good way of thinking about the airflow through the engine.

But I dont think the VAF regulates the air flow.. I think it simply measures it.. but I dont know for certain to be honest.

Tunes67

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

93mx3se wrote:what happened to it giving you a noticeable performance gain?
as far as an actual performance gain... it is more of an illusion of the senses... it feels faster and the intake sounds louder but how much HP you actually gain? not much

I noticed a "feeling" of better acceleration when I first did the CAI and then another "feeling" on top of that when I added my big bore TB... but I'm not sure how much power I actually have gained... but it sure "feels" alot faster!!
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Hi there!

Does anyone believe in the science facts of this vortex thing?

I mean, not the 20hp anouced but some kind of help in the air density...

My opinion is that it restrict more the air flow than it makes it dense. what do you people think about it?
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

They are a gimmick.. not worth spending money on.

Tunes67

MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Tunes67 wrote:They are a gimmick.. not worth spending money on.

Tunes67
Actualy I made one myself not spening more than 1 Euro... just wondering if its good even a litlle or not good at all or even bad for the air flow and density.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The theory behind them is that the turbulence they create somehow helps Increase the amount of vacuum your engine produces.. thus allowing more air to be sucked into your engine. With more fuel comes more air.. thats the claims that they make.

However.. I just cant see it working.. maybe on a carburated car where the air/fuel mixture can be adjusted manually and where the air flow can actually make a difference in the amount of fuel going into the engine. And if not affecting the amount of fuel.. maybe they would help improve fuel atomization.. allowing for more complete combustion. But in a fuel injected engine.. I cant see it making a difference. The injectors control the amount of fuel and the dispersion pattern.

I have seen commercials where they place the unit before the VAF or MAF and ads where they place it after the VAF or MAF. I would think if there would be a difference.. it would have to be placed before the VAF/MAF to be effective.

Anyway.. wouldnt be the first time I was wrong about something ;) But this is a mod I wouldnt bother with. But if you made one.. why not see if it makes a difference for you? Maybe take your car in and get a couple of pulls on a Dyno with and without it and see if there is a difference :)

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”