Engine Stalling and no power

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cknudsen01

Engine Stalling and no power

Post by cknudsen01 »

Hi there,

I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer me some advice. I'm not much of a car person, so please excuse me if I ask something silly...

The engine in my V6 92 is stalling constantly and consistently, unless I keep the revs above 2000, but even when I do - there is almost no power. Before it stalls the engine seems to race up and down on the revs a bit, then gives up. The car can barely make it up hills at this point. I took it into Canadian Tire and they could not figure out what was wrong with it. So then I took it to the Mazda dealership and they gave me a laundry list of needed repairs/tune up - new sparks, distributer cap and router, timing belt and high tension wires. However, they still didn't know what was causing the stalling, but wanted to replace all the above before even trying anything else. They quoted me $2000, and of course the car is not even worth that.

I replaced the spark plugs on my own, but the stalling is continuing. Any ideas or should I just pronounce it dead?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'd say the car is far from dead.. but it is likely not going to be a "Quick Fix" like you seem to be looking for. Here is the deal. Your issues have been covered MANY times before, so here is the crux.. is the car worth your time to research the problem? Cause the answers are all here on this site. But if your not interested in learning about the car and about how to maintain it.. you'd probably be better off putting the car up for sale as a "Mechanics Special".

If you do want to invest the time to research and find your cars problems.. start by searching for "Pulling Codes" Or "Codes" or "Error Codes" Etc.. you will find a LOT of articles and threads.. some will pertain to your issues.. some wont. Thats why its called research ;)

The choice is yours.. how much do you like the car? Do you like it enough to want to learn how to work on it? ;) Thats the question.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
cknudsen01

Post by cknudsen01 »

Thanks Tunes67,

I appreciate the advice. I'll have to consider it and make a decision. I do love the car, but I don't have much time to spare on it. I appreciate your advice, all the same. :)
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

yeah, these cars require quite a bit of attention and love to keep them going right and if you dont know how, or just cant work on the car then it will cost you alot of money to keep up, so far ive changed the motor and trans myself, along with the full suspension syetem and replaced all my break rotors,calipers and pads, and all of that still hasent cost me over $400 CAD. once you learn a bit about the car though, it is verry easy to work on.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”