K8 turbo running but cutting out at 4500 rpm

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
andy

Post by andy »

My best 1/4 mile. 14.4 @ 105 mph w/ 2.5 60'
but don't let that fool you. its much quicker than that, I just don't abuse it at the launch. On the street from a 2nd gear roll I have not lost to any mid 13 second cars yet. I did lose to a nice looking porsch gt2 and a newer looking vette. but I also haven't broken any gears or axles, Knock on wood.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

I like the sound of those times that be awesome, well i have to put the mx project to a stop cuz this weekend my dad and i were riding in his 99 3000gt vr4 and the oil pressure droped and in a matter of seconds the fornt head was destroyed

this was on a busy highway so 4 of my friends (honda guys) helped push the car a mile to an easy spot to pick the vr4 up.... lets just say even with 4 people its still not easy pushing that heavy tank
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx-3 Kl Turbo (Weekend/show car)
95 talon tsi awd (Daily Driver For Sale 6,000 or Trade for a Mx
1989 Cbr600 (StreetFighter/Stunt Bike)
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

well found some time to mess around with the mx today so I checked the fmu could be broke or hooked up wrong so i grabbed a psi gauge from my dads thousands of compressor guages hooked it up, and taped it to the windshield same with a psi gauge well sure enough doesnt the fuel pressure just drop right off. So i think well lets run it with out the fmu

so now its on the entire stock system (o yeah boost is at 4 pounds gauged proved it) so i run i bring the rmps to about 7000 and is perfect but still this firework smelling smoke thats white and float u into the air immediatly out of the exhaust pipe.

So Im already happy ya its leaning out but it works

So i take the fmu switch the hoses around and take off and it runs perfect
NO CUT OFF, CONSITED STEADY 45 PSI FUEL, NO SMOKE NORMAL
EXHAUST, AND BEST OF ALL LOST OF K8 POWER

O YEA I WON MY HIGHSCHOOLS CAR SHOW TODAY DAM ITS A GOOD DAY

SORRY FOR WASTING EVERYONES TIME WHEN MY DUMBASS CANT KEEP TRACK OF WHICH HOSE IS WHICH
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
andy

Post by andy »

congrats on the win/win.
I had thought to mention checking the in/out fuel lines on the FMU, sorry I didn't. One thing to mention is that your fuel pressure should not be a steady 45 psi when you are boosting. It should increase with each psi of boost. So at 4 psi you should see approx. 60 psi of fuel pressure.
boost is addicting, get those 220cc injectors and up the boost.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

well so i went a bought a walbro 255 fuel pump and got some 220 2.5 v6 injectors and got rid of that pos fmu (that thing is a joke)

So i took the car out and ran it on 10 pounds and omg did it take off but im still smoking and shoting oil out of the exhaust MUST BE A BAD TURBO SEAL CUZ THE I/C PIPING WAS CAKED WITH OIL

i blew and intercooler pipe so i decided to take all the piping off and clean it i took some 60 grit sand paper and roughed op the inside of the couplers i believed it help alot

So complelty random this srt4 shows up in my driveway so i ask my dad who that is and he says a guy he works with so i talked to him and he loved the mx3 dint have anyclue about this small v6 so i took him for a ride and he was very impressed and asked me if i wanted to race im like well dont tell my dads cuz i have 11 points on my drivers license and still on my probationary license (cant drive past midnight and only one passenger) The srt4 guy shows me a timeslip in his glove box that shows a time of 14.4 It was and 03 with exhaust bov frount mount intercooler

so i turn up the boost pressure to about 15 and we drive down the road to my nieghbors private airstrip that i have permission to drag on ( if that isnt the best thing ever) so anyways we decided to do a 15mph roll so we took off and to my surprise we were dead even all the way to the top of second gear then i shifted to 3rd and the srt4 was at my drivers door then at the 1/4 panel by 4forth then i put on the brakes
I could not believe the little k8 took an srt4 the srt4 driver had a camera mounted on his dash so i should be able to post up a video
AFTER ALL THE TIME AND MONEY I SPEND ON BIULDING THE SETUP FINALLY PAID OFF
andy

Post by andy »

Congrats on the win. But, 15 psi is at least 3psi more than I would ever suggest pushing it with only 220 cc injectors. They will not support that kind of horespower. I would suggest you get the next step in size. that is the 280cc injectors out of the millenia supercharged version. They will also just bolt right in. until then keep it around 10-11 psi. I know how tempting it is with a MBC to just turn the little screw 1/2 turn more. lucky for me my clutch just won't hold beyond 12 psi.
As for the SRT4, if it was a factory stock SRT4 you should have been
much further ahead than that.
Give us a list of your complete setup as of right now. please.

thanks

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

well my setup as of now 7/21/07

Basic
k8 with 127,000 miles (great compression on all cylinders)
everything relocated like criuse setup, the coolant resorvoir check thing
in old battery spot. my dad and i made a bunch of custom brackets for everything so everything is mounted solid
power steering cooling lines were redone so fmic could be mounted perfectly
main coolant hoses were replaced with copper tubing by turbo thought it be smart for heat issues
brand new stock clutch holds the extra power perfect
i have brand new drive axles too
Spark plugs gaped at .30

Turbo
t3/t4 hybrid turbo from ebay
Turbo pipes from ebay ( some fab work to fit perfect)
xs power external wastegate( VACUMMED WASTEGATE IT SOUNDS SO MEAN JUST LIKE SUPRAS WHEN U SHIFT AT IDLE SOUNDS LIKE A V8 THEN WHEN UR ON THE GAS THE CAR IS SO QUIET IT SOUNDS ELCTRIC)
replica greddy bov(
custom t3 riser plate brought turbo up 1 3/4
all intercooler piping is pvc pipe with pvc couplers honestly very surprised with it even with oil caked in the pipes ive only had 2 blow offs in 500 miles running at 10 pounds they never get too hot

i wrapped the pipes in aluminum tape to save some embaressment and it prolly helped with heat
it saved me at least 200 bucks
i get crap for it all the time i just say "what could u drive and afford in highschool ? "

Fuel
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
220cc injectors
i have a fmu but dont use it really messes the fuel sytem up when i get over 5 psi it cuts the fuel pressure i took it apart to c if it was functioning properly it was.. tried hooking it up everywitch way same problem
im definatly on the bandwagon about those thing being a gimic (the logic makes sense though)

Im running 8 pounds thats were the car seems happyiest car has trouble idleing pulses

last weekend my nieghbor with the air strip let alot us in to drag for while

i beat a crx with a b16 it had a z dyne ecu all bolt ons clutch
i beat a ls civic with all bolt on mods
barly lost to a 5.0 stang that runs around a 13.9
then we did some 40 rolls and i was right with a evo (dam was that a great feeling and smoked that 5.0 stang i lost too
raced my 50 year old dad in his vr4 wasnt even close that thing is a rocket he wont take it too a drag strip but ive seen his setup run 11's

This car might not be the quickest 1/4 mile but dam from about 40 and up rolls its a beast

im in the process of tearing down an klde my goal is to have 300hp relieble street mx3

around september my dad and i are going to start repainting his vr4 and the mx3 (we built a new spraybooth in our shop
vr4 is going to be the brand new eclispe burnt orange
mx3 is going to be an aqua.. sorta close to what it is now but with a blue pearl

theres the update on my mx3 project
andy

Post by andy »

The obvious thing to make your idle hunt up and down is if you are
running without the TB coolant lines hooked up.
I found after installing the 255lph fuel pump that I ran way to rich and couldn't get the idle stable. The stock FPR just can't handle the pressure from that pump. I added an AFPR and adjusted it to 30 psi at idle.
I'm not sure why your fuel would just cut out after 5 psi, If anything I would think you would be running way to rich.
How did you come to the conclusion that your fuel was cutting out?
Your a much braver man than me if your running around on 8 psi without so much as an FMU to raise the fuel pressure. Work faster on that KLDE.

whats your exhaust setup?

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

the tb coolant line are hooked up
i bumped the idle to 1100 that help once in a while it pulses down to about 300 rpms the comes right back up must be the added fuel like u said my fuel pressure at idle is 38psi

i found out the fuel cuts out i just taped a pressure gauge on the windshield and watched it as soon as i got to about 6,000 rpms the fuel pressure just dropped to nothing

im running without the fmu on the 220cc injecters with the walbro fuel pump and the car seems to love it my cheap cyberdyne a/f gauge reads perfect id say its even a little rich

my exhaust is the turbo pipes off of ebay, then stock with a high flow muffler, and a vacummed wastegate.

do u have any pics of ur setup andy ?
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=14095282
short video of car crappy digital camera video but it does the job

notice the bad turbo seal
my i/c piping/ intake manifold and exhaust is caked with oil (not good

poor k8 engine :(

PIC AT RECENT CAR SHOW
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=1147536

Return to “Forced Induction”