Replacing my Distributor??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Here is a page from the online shop manual showing how to test the coil in your distributor.

And here is a link to the online shop manual.. you will find more ignition system trouble shooting information in here. Definitely a good read to learn what components to check. If you are indeed getting no spark.. this is definitely the info you should read.

http://www.mx-3.com/95manual/index.cfm

On a side note.. you do seem to be learning very rapidly.. kudos for your initiative and desire to learn. There are MANY other people that let this stuff intimidate them and it really isnt that tough if you take the time to research. Keep posting what you have tried and done and ask any question you want. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Lexy

Post by Lexy »

Thanksss!!!! And yes I'm still using the stock coil would the external coil be better?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

even the external coil is to much for me.. lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

yes I'm still using the stock coil would the external coil be better?
I am of the mind that if its not broke.. dont fix it for most things. But.. if the stock coil tests out bad.. I dont think you can buy one seperately from a whole distributor. So at that point.. I'd go with an aftermarket coil and get a distributor cap like this one from PRDonline.com

www.prdonline.com

Here is a pic of their modded disty cap. You can mod your own cap and a lot of people do so.. but this is close to the cost of a regular distributor cap and you dont have to worry about messing up on it ;) This is the route I have been planning to go for a while now.. just waiting for my distributor to fail LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

YAY!!!!!!!!! I just replaced the distributor and it works!!!!! :D Only took about a month. haha. I guess now i have to do those sensors right? what do they affect if they go out?

THANKSSSSSSSS. :!:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Run it for a bit and pull codes again.. make sure the sensors are indeed wrong and not just throwing codes because of a condition being caused by the distributor failing.

The Coolant temp sensor will effect idle speed and how quickly your car will warm up on cold mornings.

The O2 (oxygen sensor) can affect a lot of things from power to gas mileage. Our V6 cars have 2 of them and its usually best to replace both at the same time for consistant performance.

Glad you got her back on the road and congrats! :2thumbsup:

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'll also follow that up to say.. if you get a code thrown for the coolant temp sensor or the O2 sensor.. they arent going out.. they have GONE out and need to be replaced. The engine will still run.. but not as well as it could and your mileage and power will definitely suffer. Though since your distributor went bad.. its possible that the O2 sensor code was a false code. Which is why I suggest running it again for a bit and check codes again.. but that coolant temp sensor code.. well that shouldnt be affected by the distributor at all so I would expect to see that code pop up again.

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”