HELP!!!! problems blowing disty at 3500rpm?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
FIMotorMX-3

HELP!!!! problems blowing disty at 3500rpm?

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I sold the mx. I did however sell it to a long time friend of mine who thought he could fix my ailling car. It keeps getting worse. For a long time now I had been having the misfire problem so I went and did the Hei/external coil set up. It was set up correctly to my knowledge and I also had a buddy of mine who's been on this forum for years double check my install multiple times in person and it all seemed correct. I had a problem one day on the highway where I was travelling at 70mph or so and the engine seemed to die. rpm's dropped to zero yet I still had the gas depressed. I downshifted and the the rpm's went right back up to normal operating speeds and I have no idea how. I didn't restart the car or anything it just started running again. Everyone said my misfiring was due to bad timing. I explained all this to my friend before he purchased the car and he knows how to do timing so he decided to take a stab at it. He purchased a new high temp disty from distributor king and installed that. He tried adjusting bot the disty and also the tps. Following that he took the car for a ride and the disty blew. He reconnected the external hei and coil and drove(nursed) the car over to his local mechanic and asked him to check the car out. They checked timing and everything was fine. They replaced the distributor multiple times and at 3500 rpms the disty would blow, everytime. After having the car for 3 weeks the shop gave up. My buddy got it back to the house with the hei and coil installed and it ran but ran like garbage. Sputtering and misfiriing horribly. I brought him my old k8 ecu to see if maybe my kl36 was the source of the problem and the symptoms were exactly the same just worse cause now it was running off the old ecu. The check engine light was on of course but there was no sequence of flashing to determine any codes so we are at square one. No Idea.... Things that have been replaced are fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, disty gutted and hei/msd coil mod. I also installed pheno and tb spacer with the tb coolant bypass tube installed. When I did the KLZE install 2 years ago, I had to splice some of the coolant sensors when I installed my water temp gauge because I didn't remove the coolant filler neck from my k8 and transfer it to my ze. It's always revved a little funny when touching those splices but the car has driven tha way for two years. I don't think that's the cause of the problem. I didn't park the car unitl about October of last year and it really started acting up about 2 months prior to me parking it. We are completely lost by this and were hoping maybe someone has experienced similar problems and might know of a possible solution. According to the shop there are no vacuum leaks and my buddy ran over the whole engine and didnt' hear any from what i know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

And if anyone is wondering what I got as a replacement, 2003 audi a4 1.8t quattro manual tranny with sport package (lowered with 17inch rims and black leather interior) It's under warranty (certified) so not too many mods on it for the time being but it will be heavily modded once the warranty is up. As for the mx. Once we resolve this ignition problem.. if that is what it is, it will eventually be receiving some boost because that was my buddy's intent for the car once it was fixed. Hopefully it's fixed before we are too frustrated and she is put to rest.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

ttt
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
Cy

Post by Cy »

pull the whole engine harness and unwrap it...

Had a friend with similar problem althought it didn't toast the disty...unwrapped it...checked all the wires for resistance...all good.... re-wrapped, plugs back together with Di-Electric grease...never came back...

I know on my Bp -- B6-Disty/Harness -- the 12V line running to the disty is loose and if pulled the wrong way kills the motor...while the plastic shething is almost completely torn right @ the plug (from the bend angle)...
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

thanks for the info. Sounds like a pain in the a$$ but it's getting to that point that we have to try whatever we can to fix this thing.
check out myspace:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”