T3/TO4E

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
JDMazda

T3/TO4E

Post by JDMazda »

Hey guys just a quick question. Picked up the turbo and it has an inlet and outlet for cooling. Do you guys usually run lines for coolant for the turbo or can i get away with just plugging them?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

dont plug them! Definitely plumb them in to coolant lines. Your turbo was designed to run with the coolant system. What engine you have?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JDMazda

Post by JDMazda »

stock 95 mx-3 1.6L Dohc.
Cy

Post by Cy »

Question on the plumbing... i haven't looked in the manual yet, but..

Could i drill and tap the lower and upper radiator ports? before the hose and allow the coolant to syphon through. or is there a specific place like the side of the block?

Don't want to install it on a point that's neutral pressure on the inlet and outlet...
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

um...ive got the same model turbo(knockoff) and i believe its suposed to take oil not coolant...it coats the internals in oil to keep them lubed...
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

4gotn wrote:um...ive got the same model turbo(knockoff) and i believe its suposed to take oil not coolant...it coats the internals in oil to keep them lubed...
Oh lord :roll:

I'm pretty sure he would know if it was an oil inlet/outlet. Some turbos have a collant system built in as well.

How do you know which turbo he has? Unless he told you off the board or he has it listed elsewhere, there is no way of telling.
T61 powered KLZE
Cy

Post by Cy »

roughly....on ANY turbo...

2 ports = oil only and can only be used with oil.
4 ports = Oil and coolant, how you tell... 1 side of the oil passage is usually milled straight down so you can see the turbo shaft...blow into that hole...where the air comes out = other oil = other 2 are coolant...

How you tell which is in and which is out ?...
Oil - The opposite passage to the side you can see the shaft from is the inlet(it feeds threw passages to the thrust bearings usually..Before dumping into the main area tobe picked up..

Coolant - shouldn't matter...the coolant passages are usually very tight and just run across the turbo body to the outlet...

*This is what i have observed from looking @ various IHI and Garrett Turbos.. may not apply to all turbos...
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

that sounds accurate to me
i dont have the turbo in front of me but i do believe that the t3 is oil cooled...unless you have some realy good effing axel grease in there that will last you 60+ thousand miles
hell even regular axel grease doesnt even last the long usualy XD
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny

4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

n2ogsze wrote:
4gotn wrote:um...ive got the same model turbo(knockoff) and i believe its suposed to take oil not coolant...it coats the internals in oil to keep them lubed...
Oh lord :roll:

I'm pretty sure he would know if it was an oil inlet/outlet. Some turbos have a collant system built in as well.

How do you know which turbo he has? Unless he told you off the board or he has it listed elsewhere, there is no way of telling.

um..look at the title... the t3/to4e is a a garrett turbo... i believe its origin is from the mitsu.
did you read the title or do you just randomly lick on new links?

also the t3/t4 models usualy have only one in/out wich has dirrect access to the shaft (oil)

Return to “Forced Induction”