I need opinions on an engine management system

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
MechaManZero

I need opinions on an engine management system

Post by MechaManZero »

I was looking at a few. Megasquirt or AEM. Does anyone have opinions on these or does anyone know what is good for a budget that works well?
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

MS-II is ur better EMS for ur buget. as far as AEM they don't make a plug and play unit for the MX-3. they do for the miata but it won't work on the mx-3.

there is TEC II standalone but u can only find these on e-bay. once u get the unit u have to get everything else to make it work. same with MS-II
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Bo0sted_Rafi

Post by Bo0sted_Rafi »

Well, IMO, im using Microtech and works perfectly. They have a EMS designed for ours mazda 4cil.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Heard good things about the Haltech E6K and E6X standalones on turbocharged mazdas.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Bo0sted_Rafi wrote:Well, IMO, im using Microtech and works perfectly. They have a EMS designed for ours mazda 4cil.
Totally agree with Rafi, I'm going to be using a microtech on my BP turbo swap. Microtech Lt10s to be exact. I see alot of rx-7's running microtech's also, and haven't heard anything bad about them.
:)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
m90daytona

Post by m90daytona »

i used msII on a diffrent car and it worked great. i would use it again if i had the oppurtunity. it is compatible w/ the mx3 for sure.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I use MSnS and i have had no problems with it. I cant say anything for any other systems cause this was my first stand alone.

Oh and i use MSI with version 3 pcb.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

I've used both MSII and a TECII(currently), and I say that the MS is good in budget but not for practicality as it does require the user to have more of an understanding about ems and tuning.

The TECII on the other hand not so good on budget but is a rather simpler ems to use because it already has its own ignition and runs on a simple DOS programing. It is easier to wire (uses less wiring). Finding one is the only hard part.

Overall I am pleased with both but I would rather stick with the TEC.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Bo0sted_Rafi wrote:Well, IMO, im using Microtech and works perfectly. They have a EMS designed for ours mazda 4cil.
+1 for microtech. My car runs great!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'd recommend the Microtech LT8 & LT10 systems for most people and I believe both of them are under $1000 (I know the LT8 is). I'm eyeballing the new Microtech LT16 as it should be available by the time I get the cash ready...that will be a little while...features full closed loop control with 32x32 maps. Also, the Microtech ECU's come pretuned well enough for your specific car to get you to the dyno safely...for the price...HARD to beat IF beatable, for the money and then some!!!!!!

Other recommendations are Haltech, new or old...I'm currently running the E6K. There new ecu's are very similar to the old ones with the exception of a few more bells n whistles along with windows base software. Very easy and intuitive to tune like the Microtech systems.

The more advanced do anything you want ECU's I recommend:
-AEM
-Accel DFI Gen 7+
-Wolf V500
-Microtech LT16
-Motec
-Electromotive Tec 3r

The advanced ones I just listed are not cheap. The Microtech LT16 will be the least expensive...price not officially announced yet. The AEM p&p, DFI, & Wolf systems are around $1700. The Motec, AEM Pro, & TEC IIIr are all $2000+. These systems take a LOT of time to tune completely...even when using the closed loop AFR features.

I HIGHLY recommend the Microtech systems. The others are OVER KILL for 99% of you.

P.S.

If you can't afford the Microtech I give the Mega Squirt a nod for the price it kicks the crap out a Super AFC! The one thing I'm not happy about the Mega Squirt is injection supported at best is only batch fire...I'm still considering putting one on our 02 Super Charged Xterra for better gas milage...its stock tune SUCKS!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Yo JWMotorsports

don't for get the new TEC GT a lil cheaper that the TEC III R. thier making some good power. here are two mazda miata running with them.

These GT's are kicking azz thier a guy form houston with a 02 miata with the corky bell turbo setup tiny lil T3 super 60. nice intake manifold bell engineering made. running with the TEC GT tune by Turbo Ric 305whp264ft trq@20psi.

and another local SA built by TURBO RIC 94 miata TRP SETUP using a 57 trim TEC GT all the other goodies 12.3@110 on a street tune.

i need to step it up or dyno tune my current setup i know it can easlily make 300whp maybe even 350whp.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Cy

Post by Cy »

who's running MSII?
therieldeal

Post by therieldeal »

i am running MS2 right now on my GTR motor. for the most part it is working great for me... there are a good number of people running BP's on MS so there is a lot of people to discuss settings with. also the tuning is not as difficult as i was originally concerned it would be. wiring is also not too terribly difficult, i started with a stock harness and removed all the unnecessary wires... so it fits nicely and looks stock :)

-jon

Return to “Forced Induction”