Replacing my Distributor??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Lexy

Replacing my Distributor??

Post by Lexy »

Hey guys i need help first locating my distributor....and then how to replace it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

read the online maual on the home page.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Not to be mean or anything but if you don't even know where or what a distributor looks like then you should be no where near trying to replace it.

First why do you think your distributor needs replacing? maybe we can help you by not spending a lot of money on a new distributor. Tell us your symptoms your having.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Lexy

Post by Lexy »

I was driving my car and Everything locked on me. Power steering, gas, and brake. Since then it has not restarted and its been a month now. i replaced a couple spark plugs and some other little parts. I just installed an hei ignition module... and that did nothing. I am getting no sparks. I already pulled codes and i got:
03 camshaft position sensor
09 coolant temp sensor
24 RHO2S inversion error

I tried reseting my ecu and then pulling codes again and my battery is dead so i've got nothing since.
I believe it is my distributor, and if so i just need to know how to replace it. I know where it is now.
And if its not the distributor then someone anyone please clarify.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

and thats your problem.. camshaft position sensor. maybe a new disty will help.. why are you asking where the distributor is and yet you did the hei mod? I am quite confused..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well I am not sure what you did with the HEI install Lexy.. and I have been busy working on my own project the past few days.. but here is a pic of the distributor:

Its actually very simple to change out. First thing to do.. take LOTS of good high quality digital pics of your distributor from as many angles as possible. Use a black sharpie to mark the housing location on the head (the thing the distributor is bolted to) These marks and pics will be crucial to making sure you get your new or replacement distributor back in the right location.

Now remove the distributor cap (thats the black thing with all the spark plug wires plugging into it. Unplug the two wiring harness plugs that are plugging into the side of the distributor. Remove the rotor (usually a black plastic piece that sits on top (on the end in this case) of the distributor shaft under the distributor cap). Now there are two bolts that hold the distributor housing to the side of the head. Remove them and then pull the distributor out of the head.

Make sure when you buy your new distributor that there is a new O ring seal around the shaft. Its a black rubber ring that goes around the distributor shaft. Your new one should come with it. If it dont.. get one. Dont reuse your old one.. it will leak oil around it if you do.

Now just reinstall your new distributor in reverse fashion to the way you removed your old one. You dont have to be exact down to the last thousandths of an inch.. your ECU (engine control unit or your engines brain) will compensate for small changes if your slightly off with your distributor housing.

Dont remove the plug wires from the distributor cap. Unless you decide to replace the distributor cap and rotor at the same time (which would be a good idea if you dont know when last they were done) If you do decide to do this.. remove each plug wire one at a time from the old cap and put it onto the new cap. This way you wont get them crossed or confused as to where they are supposed to go. If the wires get confused.. the engine wont run.

Hope this helps.

Tunes67
Last edited by Tunes67 on July 2nd, 2007, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that part of the thread should go in the faq just in case :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Lexy

Post by Lexy »

This is my first car, and i knew nothing about it to begin with. i'm obviously female which is probably why alot of people arn't interested in helping me. However I am a fast learner, and am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I figured it out with Alot of help from Tunes67. And now i know quite abit about my car. I had some one help me install the hei mod. It didn't do anything when it was installed my car still didn't start.

When i was asking about the distributor it was because i needed a number off of it so i could order the part. I knew what and where it was but i couldn't find any numbers. So i wanted to double check.

Tunes67: I can take a pic of the hei mod install so you can see it, if you'd like. I followed that walk through 100%.
-Thanks so much for all your help i will replace it as soon as the part comes in and let you know how it goes :D
Lexy

Post by Lexy »

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow thats a sexy car! I didnt know tyou were female tho and I dont think it matters when it comes to fixing cars. Good luck on the car, its nice!
-hec

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya thats a nice sexy silver car. i didnt know they came in silver. take out the bottom of the airbox as well and it will look a little better.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you know.. not everyone can do the hei mod lol Give yourself a pat in the back.
-hec

tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

That looks like a car I left a note inviting to the board a few months ago at Ft. Steele Heritage town.
Cody
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Question Lexy.. are you still using the stock coil or did you go with an aftermarket coil and mod your distributor cap? I cant tell from the pics. Looks like you got the right HEI ignition module though :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

Lol, there are posts everywhere on this topic. Car looks nice. I love the Canadian rear spoiler. That's one mod I wish I had done to my car before I sold it. They are so nice.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”