engine swappp KLZE do you need new tranny????

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
guino

engine swappp KLZE do you need new tranny????

Post by guino »

i want to do a engine swap with my 1994 mx3 and i was just wondering if you need to change the tranny aswell when you do the engine swap because i want it to remain a 5speed because i think u can only get the tranny for the 2.5l KLZE in automatic

thanks
what it deww
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

read the faq! I dont know any mx-3 with a KL-ZE auto.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

KLZE's came in both auto and manual, but the curved-neck was auto only, like a Millenia. The transmission have nothing to do with the motor; just onbolt the old automatic "flywheel", put your old flywheel on and your pretty much set. Just need to upgrade the clutch to handle the torque of the 2.5. You can use your original 5-speed tranny, or even the one from a 2.5L Probe, or you can swap to the longer geared 5-speed tranny from a 2.5L 626 or Mx-6.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

KLZE's came in both auto and manual, but the curved-neck was auto only, like a Millenia.

So what JDM cars came with the Straight Neck ZE with a 5spd? And got any pics of the cars?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Of course not, but how could there not be? Especially the fact that there's the LSD trans that you can get (besides the hard part of getting the axles). So your saying that in Japan, our respective JDM counterparts that got KLZE's instead of KLDE's would only of come in automatic? Mx-6 and 626 included? Even those they should definitely have a 5-speed option, as well as a known LSD transmission available..
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I dont really know man.. I have never seen a ZE with a 5spd bolted to it at an importer or online. Considering how weak the valve retainers are.. I really suspect that they didnt come in 5spd cars. But I have no proof.. so when I see someone state that they came in 5spd JDM cars.. I always want to know what cars LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

guino

Post by guino »

kk thanks soooo if i whr to do the klze swap what parts would i need and how much would they cost
what it deww
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

guino wrote:kk thanks soooo if i whr to do the klze swap what parts would i need and how much would they cost
come on man, that question is the MOST frequent question asked here.
Search a little, you won't have to wait for an answer and you'll have everything you need
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Read the FAQ!!!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Tunes67 wrote:
KLZE's came in both auto and manual, but the curved-neck was auto only, like a Millenia.

So what JDM cars came with the Straight Neck ZE with a 5spd? And got any pics of the cars?

Tunes67
The MX-6, Eunos 800 (626), and Cappella sedan had MTX as options but all were open diff.

http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=962 and look at the larger picture[/list]
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thanks for that info Yoda.. that seems to make Mazda look a bit idiotic though. Why would you use weaker valve train components in a higher performance engine? Especially when all the good components were right there on the shelf beside the cheap stuff?

Tunes67

Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Of course not, but how could there not be? Especially the fact that there's the LSD trans that you can get (besides the hard part of getting the axles). So your saying that in Japan, our respective JDM counterparts that got KLZE's instead of KLDE's would only of come in automatic? Mx-6 and 626 included? Even those they should definitely have a 5-speed option, as well as a known LSD transmission available..
I had Monday off work so I went out dropping by friends shop just to poke around to what odd JDM production freaks could be found and looking for a clean defective V-6 G MTX with a good gear case. Started to talk about the G series LSD trannies. Everyone is telling me that the G LSD V-6 trannies are only found bolted to the curved neck KF found only in the Lantis. Interesting enough I was shown 2 LSD trannies that use the standard size "peg leg" CV joints rather than the older 323 CV joints. I grabbed one of them for myself even though I'm building updating a V-6 tranny with the guts of a '02+ H.D (4cyl) G MTX. The unfortunate part about this discovery is that all the JDM shops are talking to each other and are sorting through their piles of Mazda MTX and putting the LSD that use the std size CV joints to the side and putting a premium price on them.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Tunes67 wrote:Thanks for that info Yoda.. that seems to make Mazda look a bit idiotic though. Why would you use weaker valve train components in a higher performance engine? Especially when all the good components were right there on the shelf beside the cheap stuff?

Tunes67
Of all the japanese car manufactures Mitsubishi, then Mazda/Suzuki, Nissan and finally Toyota were good for making really hot engines that were never made to last over 80000km or no longer that the engine was estimated to still be on the streets of Japan. The Mitsu T.T. V-6 in the GTO is probably the best example of making an engine to last just long enough for the 4 year road tax to expire. On these engine you can't even change the sparkplugs without ripping the top end off to get to them and they are know for blowing gaskets as well. Nissan did it were the engine block in the Maxima is much stronger than the one used in the 300Z TT. The problem too with making more HP in the case of the KL-ZE is that it was just a case of more or less being the same engine but just moving the peak torque to a higher RPM which automatically increases peak HP. Doing this means increased peak RPM which in turn equals lowering valve train mass (ie: lighter retainers, etc) while increasing valve spring pressure. It all comes down to engineered service life and intended market segment. They people probably never expected an bunch of "Gaijin" to be importing these engine and running them hard beyond there service life and not in a family sedan or wagon. The also go for the Mazda trannies if you look at the P/N# and original intented purpose you will see that they were intended for cars in the 1.0 - 1.5L class or a family car not any form of motorsports
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Yoda wrote:They people probably never expected an bunch of "Gaijin" to be importing these engine and running them hard
yeah - F&F tokyo drift! LOL :roll:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yoda wrote:The unfortunate part about this discovery is that all the JDM shops are talking to each other and are sorting through their piles of Mazda MTX and putting the LSD that use the std size CV joints to the side and putting a premium price on them.
Isn't the problem with the LSD trannies the availability of axles that we can't seem to find.

Return to “Transmissions”