Please help!!!! First time buyer. Alot of things wrong pleas

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bOObies6x

Please help!!!! First time buyer. Alot of things wrong pleas

Post by bOObies6x »

Ok this is a long one, I need all your guys help please. OK so im a young school going kid know next to nothing about cars. I just bought a 1993 mazda mx3 gs v6 1.8 car from some old lady. she lived in florida and had it towed over here. never regestred it here in california. and its been sitting in here garage since december. I buy and its shooting out all kinds of white smoke out the tail pipe. also the muffler is very loud,and it has a bad smell coming out the back i think where the muffler is. also i think i smell oil or gas once i stop after driving it. my air intake is ripped the stock hose i have duct tape holding it together. i took it to jiffylube the guy said there that it sounded ok but he thinks my o-ring is damaged and to fix it would be 900$. i can take pics for you guys if needed. please help i have to get it smoged aswell please help me what do i need for that as well cause i think they told me it wouldent pass. thank you guys for your help i spent most of my savings for this car i love it so much but i need help. thank you
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

white smoke = water in gas.

IF its really white smoking..

Could be old gas and condensation has built up in it, or
it could be a head gasket or something getting water in the oil.

I'd say take it hand have it compresison tested and leakdown tested, that could tell you everything right there.

Bad smell could be a clogged cat.
Sal

Post by Sal »

honestly man i kow this is going to sounds expensive but just get a new exhaust system done, engine, clutch, tune up= spark plugs/wires and air filter/gas filter, rad, timing belt/water pump which should be done with the swap...just to be safe you dont know what kind of condition the lady left the car in, also u can do everything step at a time to make it easier for yourself.
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Why you should never buy a old car if you no NOTHING about cars

I hope you didnt pay no more then $800 for that car.

What i would do is swap a KLDE or KLZE engine in it, replace the exhaust with 2.25inch piping. New CAI. Clutch and after about $2000 your ready to go with a bad a-- car
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

There seem to be some people on here who do not like helping the extreme newb....
What you should do is
1. Tell the guy who quoted you 900 to fix the intake pipe to go suck on something long and hard. That is the worst rip off I've ever heard of. Then do some research on here using the search function or read some of the FAQs and make your own intake pipe. The stock pipe is old and cracked. No point in fixing it or getting a new one, just build something better and gives more HP (cold air intake).
2. The smoke is likely as Barry said (customMX3). He is helpful and the main guy on here so listen to what advice he gives.
3. Again, Barry is right about the smell. An old cataletic (sp?) converter could cause the bad smell. If it smells like rotten eggs you might need a new cat. You could do the whole exhaust if you have the money, but if not a repalcement cat should cost about 1-150 to replace (cost of the cat plus labor for 150+-).
There is a current post called "homemade air intakes" that should help you build your own intake pipe if you need more info.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
bOObies6x

ok thanks

Post by bOObies6x »

Well I spent 800$ on the car. It does have kinda a rotten egg smell to it when my girlfriend was driveing behind me she said the could smell it. also i think the same gas is inside the car since december, Could the be the cause of the white smoke, Its not alot but when ever i push the petal i can see some. I was wondering what that was about? Also i dont know if its standerd with these cars but my muffler is like crazy loud not ear bleeding but pretty loud is that normal? i know its the stock muffler. But ya So let me make a list and if you guys could tell me what i need it would be great.

A little bit of white smoke from the muffler.
smelly smell from the back of the car.
maybe a o-ring could be bad so says the guy from jiffylube.
kinda loud muffler dont know if thes normal.
have to pass smog and i dont know what i will need.

Thats all i could think of right now you guys all really know your stuff. if any of you live in the los angels area i could take it over to you i would pay you. Anyway i really just need to pass smog so if you guys could tell me what i should do and what i should get would be awsome thanks again.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

What the..? Engine swap? Some of you guys need to step away from the crack pipe. The kid just spent all his money on the car, clearly has no mechanical experience, and he's just looking to pass the smog test. KLDE swap pft!

What PAT and custom said sounds like decent advice. Might be a good idea to stop by a proper exhaust shop and have your exhaust and cat tested, before your buy anything you don't need. If your intake is in poor shape, cold air intake (CAI) mod might help, it's dirt cheap, and no experience required. There are tons of threads about that. Though I wouldn't bother with it until you have your exhaust sorted. General inspection and tune-up will be a good idea, but go to an independent mechanic for that. Stay away from Iffy Lube and suchlike chain rubbish. Don't even go there for oil change, imo.

Oh, and stock muffler shouldn't be loud. So it's either aftermarket, or there's a giant hole in it. A muffler shop should be able to tell you everything about that.
bOObies6x

ok

Post by bOObies6x »

So anything else that might let me pass?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Drain the old gas out - put some new gas (i always use ultimate or super plus gas not regular gas) and add some fuel treatments. I think there are some water elimination treatments too. Get an oil change and flush the radiator. Run it for a couple of days after that. If there are no major problems the engine will stop smoking once you get new gas..... There are also products on the market to eliminate the cat smell.....
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Re: ok thanks

Post by Custommx3 »

bOObies6x wrote:Well I spent 800$ on the car. It does have kinda a rotten egg smell to it when my girlfriend was driveing behind me she said the could smell it. also i think the same gas is inside the car since december, Could the be the cause of the white smoke, Its not alot but when ever i push the petal i can see some. I was wondering what that was about? Also i dont know if its standerd with these cars but my muffler is like crazy loud not ear bleeding but pretty loud is that normal? i know its the stock muffler. But ya So let me make a list and if you guys could tell me what i need it would be great.

A little bit of white smoke from the muffler.
smelly smell from the back of the car.
maybe a o-ring could be bad so says the guy from jiffylube.
kinda loud muffler dont know if thes normal.
have to pass smog and i dont know what i will need.

Thats all i could think of right now you guys all really know your stuff. if any of you live in the los angels area i could take it over to you i would pay you. Anyway i really just need to pass smog so if you guys could tell me what i should do and what i should get would be awsome thanks again.
First off, dont listen to Jiffy Lube. No offense if anyone on here works here, but they get paid to change oil and con you into other "services" that cost more than they are worth.

If you want to know what condition your car is in, a compression test is the 1st thing to do.

Also, run all that old gas out till its almost empty, and drain it, put some GOOD gas in the car. Here's also something to look for, I purchased a 93 V6 in Florida and there was alot of sand in the tank. Draining that access may get some of that if you have any (being a Cali car).
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

If it was driven by an old lady then i doubt that she put a nice aftermarket cherry bomb in it, lol. check for leaks, especially at the joints. get your girlfriend to get in the car and start it, crawl under and tell her to rev the car and you should see if its broken at the joints cuz the muffler will shake.

And for the white smoke, it might not even be water in the tank. If the cat is bad and clogged its not doing its job eliminating emmissions and thats what your seeing out the exhaust.

To get it smogged, what ever that is...... when i had to get my car e-tested i put ethanol(sp?) in my car ran it nice and hot, i mean really hot just before the test and then got it done. if you can go and get your car smogged on a day like tuesday at around lunch when one is getting their car smogged so that when you come in with your hot engine you can get it tested right away with out it cooling down.

Now for your CAI(cold air intake), i started a topic called Homemade air intakes, as PATDIESEL said alot of people have posted what they did and how they did it as well. Ill be tackling this very soon and i expect it to go flawlessly. im anal and i like to do alot of research.

Lol, iffylube quoted you $900 for an o-ring? stay away from shops untill you know your stuff or they'll scam you, dont mean to be harsh but thats the truth!
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
bOObies6x

ok

Post by bOObies6x »

Ok i just looked in the back where the muffler goes and yeah its broke it shakes what kind of muffler do i need? i just want some thing that will let me accelerate better. i also have two leaks under the engine there both in the middle of the engine. kind of next to each other. I will takes some pics of my car from every angle tomorrow when there is light out, does anyone know how to upload pics? thanks you guys are great :)
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You have to host the pics somewhere like photobucket or yahoo photos. Then you will see a file name for "linking" the pic to another site. You copy the link and paste it here with the HTML code [img]the%20copy%20of%20the%20file%20name%20here[/img] Then when we look at it the pic will be in your post. Make sure the pics aren't very large as they will be large on here and it will take some time to load. If someone is impatient, like me, they will not bother to wait and take a look and you will miss help from that person/s.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

If you feel this car will give you hedaches.. and its run down.. i say sell it or part it out and get something more reliable.

My mx3 gave me hell before i replaced almost everything from the front clip.. i do mean EVERYTHING.. :S

Everything has gone wrong with my mx3 lol.

its very reliable now tho and I would never sell it.
It all depends on you.

Personally I would find a probe gt engine, drop it in and fix exhaust. You can get a cheap klde for around 250 but thats just me tho.

good luck and post pics.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
bOObies6x

try this pic.

Post by bOObies6x »

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”