Stalling whithout warning!!! could it be fuel PUMP?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
AlexMX3

Stalling whithout warning!!! could it be fuel PUMP?

Post by AlexMX3 »

HI I have a 93 MX3 gs 1.8 v6 with K8 engine.It stalled sometimes before but only occasionally and then recently more often and tonight it wouldn't start at all and got a boost from a friend keps trying( like 20 times)It would crank but not catch. And then is finally started again and two blocks down the road is stalled again. All 6 cylinders are sparking. I'm starting to believe it is the fuel pump. but reading the forums I'm not so sure anymore I ordered a new fuel filter and will replace it soon. Should I spend the $300 for a fuel Pump?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

nah.. i think its the HEI gone bad.. check for spark.. im sure the hei is gojb g bad.. that would happen to me.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

if your 100% sure you got spark then put a fuel preasure guage in there and see if you got fuel.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I would have to say ignition module also....classic problem.

If it stalls out again you have to check for spark when its not starting or soon after it stall out. Cause once it cools down i will start again and work fine. The prob will get worse and worse until you change your desty or do the hei mod. guess it does not hurt to check your fuel stuff too.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
AlexMX3

Post by AlexMX3 »

Thanks guys I'm now sure it isn't the fuel pump. I will change the fuel filter anyhow because it's been ordered. Now my distributor was changed 2 years ago and do you think it might be the same problem again? Is 2 years or 45,000 kms the average lifespan of a distributor? I called a garage and they said it could just require basic maintenance like throttle body cleaning etc..
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

The thing is , our distys have a defect with the IM and its abilty to work on high heat conditions...they wear out after awile and the car shuts off. Ive seen it go bad within a two year period more than once. Im sure some people on this site can test to that. Thats why alot of people with Mx3's mx6's and probes bypass the stock Imodule for the GM one and call it a day. Plus if that goes bad its only like...15 bucks to replace.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My new disty lasted me 3 days. w00!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”