Help with Clutch Problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rippledabs

Help with Clutch Problem

Post by rippledabs »

Hi, My clutch has been making a wierd noise for the past few months, when it's disengaged (pedal in).

It sounds like a squealing or slipping. I assume it's the clutch plate slipping against each other, but I'm not sure. It doesn't make noise when clutch engages. (1.8 V6)

It drove normally since then, but all of a sudden today, the sound got louder. In Idel, when I press in the clutch, the engine idle speed decreases to 300-400 rpm, and it's very hard to put into gear. I have to jam it in pretty hard.

I think it's because the clutch isn't dis-engaging fully.

I checked the brake fluid. (I think the clutch uses the same fluid reservoir?). It's between the low and high marks. Can I assumed it's not a leak?

Do you think it's air in the clutch line? I'll bleed it tonight. Can it be anything else? Thanks in advance for the help.
m90daytona

Post by m90daytona »

only thing that comes to mind is the throw out bearing. its under load w/ the clutch pushed in and then its under no load w/ the clutch pedal out. if it was a bad clutch or disc it would be noisy when engaging and if it was a bad trans it would be noisy when driving. if the line needed blead then you woulnt be able to disengage the clutch at all. you can try it though.
rippledabs

Post by rippledabs »

I bleeded the clutch line, and I can shift easier, but it's still making that whirring or slipping sound. Also, the engagement isn't as smooth as before. I can feel some shutter.

I found this link about the throwout bearing, and it is probably it.
http://www.carcare.org/Manual_Transmiss ... ring.shtml

Any advice on what I should do? I am hoping I dont have to replace the whole clutch, although i probably should. 150k on stock clutch.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Replace the clutch, throw out bearing and clutch bearing. It is a bear of a job if you don't know what you are doing. Depending on how mechanical you are I would take it to a shop, bringing a clutch that you bought or get a friend who knows how to do it help you out.
There are many threads on which clutches are good for the MX-3.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
rippledabs

Post by rippledabs »

Will a clutch Kit include all those things, or Do i need to order it seperately?

One last noob question. My wife's sisters wants to learn how to drive stickshift. Will a worn throw-out bearing damage anything else if she drives around in a parking lot?

I dont really want to install a new clutch only to have her sisters abuse it during the learning.

Thanks very much for the help!

Sorry I posted this in the wrong section, i didn't see the tranmission section.
jemcote

Post by jemcote »

it was the throowout bearing for me.. and i changed the clutch by the way.
Looking to buy low price KL-DE engine in canada if possible under 200k kilos... sned me a pm!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”