My final clutch question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Cy

My final clutch question

Post by Cy »

so i'm going to be ordering this stuff next week...
From what Boris has done this sounds about right...
Centerforce,ACT or Fidanza flywheel for a Miata
-ACT pressureplate
and an ACT clutch for a MX-3...

Is there Anything better?? Without swapping my tranny for a G series...

I was hoping for Miata all the way to the disc...

-----

Also as i'm doing this in my driveway and have only the tools i own...which doesn't include a large torex or 12point kit....what are the flywheel to crank bolts for number of teeth and size?...
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i beilve they are a 6 point 13-15 mm. its one of them but they are 6 point for sure
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Cy

Post by Cy »

K so browsing the online stores...i find the best option to go with is ALL for MX-3 1.6L

Spec: Stage 4
Torque Capacity: 300ftlbs
Performance Kit: SZ404 - $349
Flywheel: SZ32A - $389
Sub-total: $738USD

Light-weight option: $79
S&H:...

call it $900...= $964.179 CAD
Skuce

Post by Skuce »

the Spec Stage 4 is a drag clutch. It's wither ON or OFF. It is not friendly for the street.

I would get a stage 3 or a stage 2+ if you are doing a streetable car that can do the track.

Also be aware that with a super light flywheel. The motor revs very fast. Which is REALLY cool......BUT....it also drops revs just as fast. You will have to learn to shift very quickly. And reverse and hills become a chore.

Just so you are aware ahead of time
Drew
'95 EGT 1.8
T
'93 ELX 1.9 SC
'91 ELX 1.9
Skuce

Post by Skuce »

For a streetable drag/track car.

Of those I would choose. I would pic out the Stage 3 clutch. ACT steel flywheel. Maybe go with the lightweight option on the clutch. But that isn't a huge gain. Plus I still want that bit of extra rotating mass.

it does depend on your goals.
Drew
'95 EGT 1.8
T
'93 ELX 1.9 SC
'91 ELX 1.9
Cy

Post by Cy »

yeh this will be a street car...it gets driven like a track car on a daily basis though...

My reasoning behind relaceing the flywheel isn't so much weightloss as the current flywheel is REAlly heavy... and it's been running against a glazed clutch for like 8k...i just want a new one and figure a spec or act lightweight with changable interface plates would be a good option...

I from futher reading and what you say i'm leaning on the Stage 3 as you get more hold for your dollar over the 2+...
Skuce

Post by Skuce »

The stage 3 is very close to being a drag clutch. Just takes some learning on how to run it.

the Stage 2+ has the feel of a steetable regular Stage 2....but has the clamping force of a Stage 3.

The Fidanza/Spec clutch is an aluminum clutch with a steel gear ring and contact face added to it. The ACT is a lighter weight version of a FULL steel flywheel.

You will get both sides of the fence talking on this one. I personally would prefer a lightweight steel wheel as opposed to an aluminum wheel for the fact that are no parts bolted together. it's all one part.

Plus also. it's heavier than an aluminum wheel which makes it nicer on the daily drive to work.
Drew
'95 EGT 1.8
T
'93 ELX 1.9 SC
'91 ELX 1.9
Cy

Post by Cy »

fidanza's aluminum is a 9lbs'er...

Now...i'm still getting anoyed by the compatibility ....

I KNOW THIS:

Miata 1.6 & 1.8 , protege 1.8, MX-3 1.6L DOHC ALL have the same Crankshaft bolt pattern.....

NOW which cars have the same pressureplate bolt pattern?...Obviously matching a flywheel and pressureplate is the best option...

And finally ...the Mx-3 1.6 Dohc Fseries trans has a 200mm Clutch Disc...but what is the spline and diameter? 20T? 21T? 22T?...

I have recieved and offer on an ACT street spring clutch w/ Heavy Duty Pressure Plate...Although this would definetly cover me for the time being..I plan to boost and my goal is not a HP figure but 200Ft-lbs of Torque...

It's apparently for a SOHC?...Noone seems to make a Mx-3 flywheel so would this bolt to any other flywheel that works on a BP...

This is the kind of thing i'm looking @

1.6L Miata - Xtreme Pressure Plate
1.6L Miata - Flywheel from Fidanza
1.6L MX-3 - 6 Pad Xtreme Race Disc 200mm, 21spline(as per ACT)

The other thing would be that SPEC seems to cover all bases in a 1stop shopping deal...with the Flywheel,pplate and clutch in 1 package..
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Cy wrote:fidanza's aluminum is a 9lbs'er...

Now...i'm still getting anoyed by the compatibility ....

I KNOW THIS:
Cy wrote:Miata 1.6 & 1.8 , protege 1.8, MX-3 1.6L DOHC ALL have the same Crankshaft bolt pattern.....?.....
YES all the same
Cy wrote:NOW which cars have the same pressureplate bolt pattern?...Obviously matching a flywheel and pressureplate is the best option...?.....
all different all good
Cy wrote:And finally ...the Mx-3 1.6 Dohc Fseries trans has a 200mm Clutch Disc...but what is the spline and diameter? 20T? 21T? 22T?.....
f-series both sohc and dohc are a 20 spline g-series is a 22 spline

Cy wrote:I have recieved and offer on an ACT street spring clutch w/ Heavy Duty Pressure Plate...Although this would definetly cover me for the time being..I plan to boost and my goal is not a HP figure but 200Ft-lbs of Torque...?.....
why spend doublr the money when u can get the biggest baddest one u can get just in case u decide u want more power.

It's apparently for a SOHC?...Noone seems to make a Mx-3 flywheel so would this bolt to any other flywheel that works on a BP...

This is the kind of thing i'm looking @

1.6L Miata - Xtreme Pressure Plate
1.6L Miata - Flywheel from Fidanza
1.6L MX-3 - 6 Pad Xtreme Race Disc 200mm, 21spline(as per ACT)

The other thing would be that SPEC seems to cover all bases in a 1stop shopping deal...with the Flywheel,pplate and clutch in 1 package..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Cy

Post by Cy »

I'ma 1 stop shopper....once i get this new clutch in...unless my trans blows up the trans and engine are never coming apart again, under my ownership..

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”