94' 1.6L DOHC manual to auto trans

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ravensteve9

94' 1.6L DOHC manual to auto trans

Post by ravensteve9 »

I have a 94 Mx-3 1.6L DOHC with an auto tranny. The engine is tired so I purchased another engine from the same year car except it was a manual tranny. I cannot get the transaxle flush with the block. I used the flywheel and torque converter from the old engine. These items mounted just fine. The bolt pattern on the engine and transaxle is correct. I have tried several different ways and still no go. Im hoping that this conversion is even possible or maybe Im overlooking something simple. MX-3 gurus please help!

To summarize: trying to mount an auto tranny on a manual tranny block...

Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There is no difference in blocks.. as you have already done.. you will need to use your flex plate from the old engine on the new one.. the only hint I can give you is to NOT bolt the torque converter to the engine yet.. seat the torque converter fully onto the input shaft of the tranny.. then bolt the engine & tranny together.. then come from under the engine at the tranny inspection window and bolt the torque converter to the flex plate there. Rotating the engine so that you can line up the bolts one at a time and tighten them down till all are done.. Its a pain to do it this way.. but its often the only way to get the torque converter to seat fully onto the transmission input shaft. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ravensteve9

Post by ravensteve9 »

Tunes thanks for the reply. I discovered that on my first attempt to mount tranny to engine I damaged the torque coverter splines. This prevented it from sitting in all the way. After I purchased a new coverter I assembled everything as you described. It went to together perfect. Thanks

Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”