2.5l Clutch Compatible with 1.8l Engine?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Xavier

2.5l Clutch Compatible with 1.8l Engine?

Post by Xavier »

I know that you guys have read this before and i know that i have to but i was just wanting to make sure about it.
The clutch for the KL-De, KL-ZE, etc. will fit in the K8's transmission bell housing, correct? The reason i'm asking is that i CAN NOT find any clutch/flywheel packages for the 1.8 and i remember reading somewhere that the Clutch for the 2.5s is compatible with the 1.8. all input accepted on this one, my clutch is going and i need to get it replaced. Help me out here.
Blaze Red '92 K8 Mx-3 GS. Never got around to a ZE swap. SOLD
1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Don't worry i'll come back around to the Mazda world.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Yes you will be fine using a setup for a kl in your k8

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

K thanks, anybody got a good brand name to suggest, or would it be safe to go with a clutch kit off ebay for a quick fix until i get upgrade.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

i would suggest going to southbendclutch.com. There prices are great and quality seems to be right there with clutchmasters. I just bought one from there last week for my rebuild klde. Go over to probetalk.com and look around and see what you think.

Nate
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

check http://www.rr-racing.com, i just got a ClutchMaster Stage3 and a Fidenza flywheel from them. Other good clutch manufacturers would be ACT and Bully. Not sure about other recommended ones.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Xavier wrote:K thanks, anybody got a good brand name to suggest, or would it be safe to go with a clutch kit off ebay for a quick fix until i get upgrade.
I bought my first clutch (and fidanza) from rr-racing.com. It burned out in 20k miles... not acceptable IMO.

I bought an exedy clutch off of EBAY and I now have 80k + miles of hard driving on it... I guess it's close to OEM spec. Not bad for $120 shipped.
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Mooneggs wrote:
Xavier wrote:K thanks, anybody got a good brand name to suggest, or would it be safe to go with a clutch kit off ebay for a quick fix until i get upgrade.
I bought my first clutch (and fidanza) from rr-racing.com. It burned out in 20k miles... not acceptable IMO.

I bought an exedy clutch off of EBAY and I now have 80k + miles of hard driving on it... I guess it's close to OEM spec. Not bad for $120 shipped.
Was that on the K8 or KLZE?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

oops sorry I didn't specify... that was the klze...
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

hmm so the stockish 2.5l clutch is holding up. Do u beat on it much? i would rather buy a brand name clutch like this
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I have ACT..beat on it hard...still grabs like its new and never slips..wicked clutch imo
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Its also $400 plus to get one here where i live :(
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

ho bag wrote:hmm so the stockish 2.5l clutch is holding up. Do u beat on it much? i would rather buy a brand name clutch like this
LOL beating on it is an understatement... let's see... last weekend I beat a 240sx sr20 turbo, an integra gsr, and a del sol built gsr... I hit 142 on the interstate... with my 80k clutch and 100k klze...

nah... :roll: LOL

so yeah maybe the clutmaster stage 2 would get tire spin shifting into third but I didn't really need that... so exedy OEM is fine with me and it's been durable and it's never slipped! I got my fastest time at the track with this clutch (14.7) plus my car is only 200hp so who needs a stage 1, 2, or 3 with that anyways??
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

My southbenc clutch came with an exedy clutch disc, and than i think they build the pressure plate. Cost my 200 shipped to my door.

Nate
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

That's awesome i decided to buy an Exedy off Ebay and hopefully i get the same results you Did Mooneggs. If it's taken the beating with the ZE then i guess it will be more than enough for my K8. LOL that's awesome.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

well I hope it works out for you - it's served me well... at the time I didn't have the money to spend $300 + on a new clutch plus I had to get a new surface for my fidanza flywheel.

I've always tried to take care of my stuff even though I do ride hard... I always use premium fluids and change/fill as necessary. I use royal purple in the tranny...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”