Need a new exhaust

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Cpl_Bryant

Need a new exhaust

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I have the BPT. I've had the Pacesetter exhaust installed for YEARS and its long overdue to be replaced. Its rusting away. My question is, could I use a cat-back system designed for the 90-94 BP protege? Or do I have to stick with Pacesetter without something custom? As far as I know, there are no cat-back systems available STILL for the MX-3 RS or GS. Any thoughts?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

F all that. Buy a good muffler of your choice and a good cat and then have a muffler chop MANDRELL bend all the rest of it for you. Crush bent pipes will kill the turbo spool and decrease power some so make sure it is mandrell bent. I payed 350 for my muffler (125) and the pipes from the header all the way back. mandrell bent, 2.5" piping- on a ZE with Hot Shot headers.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I agree with Patdiesel fully here, just get a good brand name muffler (HKS, Apexi, Magnaflow, 5Zigen etc) and get a muffler shop to run a 2.5" or 3" mandrel bend exhaust right from the turbo downpipe.

I am currently using a custom 2.5" exhaust on my setup right down.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Okay, well the crap hit the fan this weekend and the muffler piping separated right after the first flange from the muffler. So I removed the muffler (and piece attached to it) and now I have just a rusted-off 2.25 inch pipe by my rear axle. SO, its go time. As far as I know, there are no places around here that can mandrel bend. I know crush bending is bad, but REALLY bad? Would crush bending a larger diameter pipe yeild similar performance to smaller mandrel bent pipe? At this point, I am looking at getting a ticket in the next week with my drive to work so I may just go with a new muffler to mate up with the current Pacesetter crap until further notice... or until I get a Mazdaspeed 6... mmmmm... Your thoughts?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
facko

Post by facko »

speed6's are so...So nice...but im getting the speed3 when i get one :) gotta keep the 3 alive lol

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”