new engine ticks .

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MoRf

new engine ticks .

Post by MoRf »

, yeah i just got the new engine in about 3 weeks ago , and its been ticking ever since i put it in (it dident tick b4 the swap , both cars were running and driven to my garage) , the only thing i did while the engine was out is change the clutch , and when i got the new engine in i put in 10w30 and about 500ml of lucas oil stabalizer. im not to shure whats wrong whys it ticking or whats causing it , i drove it for about 300km with the lucas,then i changed the oil again , and i am about 400km's on the new oil(no additive).
if any one here knows whats causing the tick id like to know , i still have old engine, it dident tick , just smoked really really bad lol.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

WHY WHY would you use LUCAS oil stabilizer on an engine you just swapped? WHY? That thing tends to foam at high rpms, not bad for the ze. IFlush that crap out. Run 1 quart of automatic transfluid to flush it.

Experience with that product:

85 buick that was smoking a bit.. after the "treatment" it smoked even more.. bohoo.

Rudys klze.. his engine was a little tired, put that stabilizer crap.. the cams got filled with some gewie stuff. Engine started going from bad to worse.

I believe we have a thread regarding this somewhere..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

[quote="hgallegos915"]WHY WHY would you use LUCAS oil stabilizer on an engine you just swapped? WHY? That thing tends to foam at high rpms, not bad for the ze. IFlush that crap out. Run 1 quart of automatic transfluid to flush it.

Experience with that product:

85 buick that was smoking a bit.. after the "treatment" it smoked even more.. bohoo.

Rudys klze.. his engine was a little tired, put that stabilizer crap.. the cams got filled with some gewie stuff. Engine started going from bad to worse.

I believe we have a thread regarding this somewhere..[/quote]

FUDGE !!!!!!!!!!!!@@@_@_@) damn that really sucks , somehow i only heard good things about it :| , guess ill do that asap. thx verry much :D , this isent even the first time you've helped me out :)
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Lucas is extremely thick. Our engines have a problem with getting oil to the number 6 cylinder area because of narrow passageways. These two factors don't go well together. I think it would do wonders for the cylinder walls/rings, but the whole thickness in the passageways = bad. If I were to use it in a KL series engine, I'd use a very small amount, with either 5w20 or 5w30 oil.

On a side note, my Honda loved the Lucas.
Cody
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

i flushed it this morning and its still ticking , dident seem to make much difference, the car isent smoking and i dont think there is any lose in power , but its annoying as hell lol
, so is it probably the HLA's ? and if so are they hard to change ?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you can't take the annoying ticking, you'll have to use 1) a high quality synthetic and B) a 5W30, not a 10W. And even if it meets those requirements, some oils might make it tick. Personally, my engines both tick with Mobil1 5W30, even though it's more expensive than Pennzoil Synthetic. Pennzoil and Royal Purple 5W30's work best in my personal experience.

And that Lucas may still be in the oil system. I'd do a kerosene flush and then get a good oil into it. Especially if it's a J-spec engine where it was sitting around in a junkyard for a few years before being installed.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My ZE ticked since day one, been what, almost 4 years now...lol
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

well well i guess i'm not the only one with tiking ZE. i've been using Mobil1 5w-30, and i never put anything in it tho, but oil, and bit of tranny fluif here and there
1993 PGT ZE will always be remembered and missed
1994 PGT shiny again
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

well im quite lazy lol , so unless it actually affects something important , or will make it wear out faster then i wont bother fixing it. but i dident put the engine in to not drive it hard :wink: haha and i just got my new coilovers on and my 215/50/15's, hope they help with autocross this weekend :D
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

MoRf wrote:well im quite lazy lol , so unless it actually affects something important , or will make it wear out faster then i wont bother fixing it.
I think ticking HLA's do wear something down, I forget what, though. IRC it gradually reduces power ever so slightly, but won't cause any mechanical failures, so you should be ok.
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

[quote="Whisper"][quote="MoRf"]well im quite lazy lol , so unless it actually affects something important , or will make it wear out faster then i wont bother fixing it.[/quote]

I think ticking HLA's do wear something down, I forget what, though. IRC it gradually reduces power ever so slightly, but won't cause any mechanical failures, so you should be ok.[/quote]

the engine only has to last me the summer , im going to put a ze in over the winter
whitemike10601

oil thickness

Post by whitemike10601 »

the k8 specifies 10w30. lucas oil is a great product when used properly. it will not fix a fd up engine. it makes the oil adhere so its there when you start it up and reduces wear due to oil sticking to upper parts of the engine instead of having to wait to be pumped up. if it burns oil it will burn lucas too. take that thing apart and see whats wrong with it rather than throwing additives at it and saying they don't work.
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

i just installed the new engine , it ran perfect before i put it in , once i installed the new engine i added a small amount of lucas for some added protection i also used a good quality 10w30 and new fram oil filter , but when i started up the new engine in my car, it was ticking .. and it dident tick 3 days earlier when i took it out. and since ive put the new engine in ive only put about 800 kms on it. so now i have a pretty loud ticking, but the engine runs fine, no smoke no lose of power no poor idle, just the annoying tick.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”